Playing the Game

You felt an overwhelming concoction of fear and excitement rattling your body as Peter held out your notebook. You awkwardly froze for a moment as he sat down next to you before finally responding. If you didn't calm down soon, he'd know something was up.
"Thank you." You answered simply, reaching out to take the book from him, brushing his hand with your own as you did so. You flinched slightly, afraid of what his reaction might be.

His face expression morphed into what seemed like confusion for a second before it flicked straight back to that same satisfied grin he always seemed to have plastered to his face. Suddenly he thrusted out his opposite hand to you, holding it there.
"Peter." He greeted, "We never were properly introduced."

For a moment you sat shocked, unsure what was going on, before you realised he had been sitting there awkwardly with his hand out for quite some time. Your nerves had induced sweaty palms, which you discreetly wiped on your jeans before holding your hand out to meet his, briefly shaking and then returning them quickly to your lap again.
"I'm [Y/N]. It's nice to finally meet you, again."

He chuckled, leaning his elbow onto the table with a smug grin.
"Well, I guess I'll see you tomorrow then, kitty-cat." He stood up once more before disappearing along the dinner hall. Gone again...

He kept making his appearances short and sweet. You couldn't stand it any longer, the frustration was tearing you up. Or perhaps that was his intention.

You stared back down at the notebook in front of you, only noticing now that the elastic binder was undone.

Your eyes widened as you began to frantically flick through the pages. How much had he read?
A folded note fell to the floor as you reached the sketch, and your face lit up a bright red as you bent down to grab for it.
You swiped a packet of cookies and your juice off of your lunch tray and crammed the note and book into your pocket, feeling your powers take control of you. You were fighting with your own emotions as you began to panic, and fled as quickly as possible to your dorm room, where you bolted yourself in.

After taking a quick moment of fresh air to return to your normal level-headed state, you finally dared to open the note.

The page unfolded to an A5, lined sheet with thick black permanent marker etched on its surface. You shivered as you read it.

"
Come and get me.
- Peter
"

You began to feel dizzy as excitement set in, and that excitement made you restless. You could not believe what you were seeing.

Night fell over the school as you found yourself still unable to sleep. After several hours of daydreaming, you decided enough was enough.

He was playing a game, and you were losing. It was time to settle scores.

Changing from your pyjamas to day clothes, you found yourself rocking a particularly stylish black leather jacket, dark grey denim jeans and a t-shirt featuring your all time favourite band on its front. Straightening your jacket collar, you quietly tugged the door open a crack, checking to make sure the opposite dorm room door was shut.

Once the coast was clear, you shifted slowly into a cat again, weaving around the creaky floorboards that you'd located over the weeks you had been living in accommodation at the university. Crossing the main hall, you crept past Hank McCoy, who appeared to be organising the front desk. As you stepped off of the carpet you quickly withdrew your claws to increase your tact, and slunk into the dim light of the staircase, which led up to the men's dorm.
Out of sight, you masterfully climbed the steps until you reached the corridor.
None of the doors had glass panes or any kind of plaque to indicate whose room belonged to who, but you had come prepared. Quietly shifting back to your human form, you pulled the note Peter had written from your back pocket and laid it on the floor. Using a canine form this time, you sniffed the note, gathering the strong tangy scent of the marker that was used and the bleach which dyed the paper. After closing your eyes for a few seconds, you lowered your nose to the carpet and began to sniff underneath the doors.

Suddenly, a familiar scent caught your nose. Twisting the handle with your human hand, you instantly resumed your slinkiest form, keeping your tail high off the ground as you proudly stalked your way into his room. Flattening your ears to your head, you stood on your hind legs to get a better look onto his bed. Fast asleep with one earphone in, he murmured something unrecognisable. You hopped up, approaching the earbud which lay on the bed, and listened to what he had playing. "If I could save time in a bottle..."

You smiled at his calming choice of music, taking a moment to look around his room. As you looked back to him, he turned over, and you leapt back, almost falling off the bed but regaining your balance at the last possible moment.
With a sigh of relief, you hopped down onto the soft carpet and padded to his wardrobe. Looking for an item in particular, you dug through his drawers as quietly as possible finding only socks and pyjamas. With a frustrated huff, you turned to spot his goggles on his desk. 'Ooh.'

You swiped them from his room, and closed all his drawers. He wouldn't even have known you'd been there.

As you were leaving, you heard a light shuffle as a gust of wind caught you off guard. Before you could blink, you were  sitting in the middle of his room again, and he was leaning - now in his normal clothes - against the door of the bedroom.

"Hey there, kitty." He purred.