Boundaries Chapter 15

~~Annabelle~~

Dylan wore a furious bearing that I've never seen in my 16 years of life. His lower jar twitched once I said Ronnie's name, eyes roaming over me as if someone would dare touch me with rough hands. I cowered in front of him, insisted that I was fine, that it's all just a misunderstanding but he had shook his head incredulosuly.

He had implored me. "Tell me what's wrong with you," he had plead when he saw the marks on my body, like I was responsible for all the hurt and all the pain. Maybe I was responsible for why I wasn't pretty enough or smart enough or because I said the wrong things sometimes. That was why I deserved to be hit and abused and choked with tears.

I knew he couldn't have meant it that way though. I figured that out when he was halfway out the door of his study room. I called after him. My voice sounded muffled by the tension of the air and the sudden dizziness that swathed over me.

Dylan stopped abruptly in his walk and turned to me. "Where does that bastard live?"

I hesitated. "What are you going to do?"

His jaw twitched again. "Beat the shit out of him," he seethed venomously and following a few moments of silence, he sighed and relaxed his stance much to my surprise. It wouldn't be such a great idea to fight him, and I'm glad he caught on.

"Don't tell Mom," I spluttered promptly before he coud make any rash decisions.

He searched my face and replied, finally, "I'm driving you to school on Monday and I'm walking you to your classes. I will drive you home. If I see that Ronnie guy near you, I will not hesitate to punch him in the face."

He slid his tongue over his teeth.

"I wont tell Mom," he said at last, "because you insisted but if anything else happens to you, I will."

I nodded and thanked him. Flustered, I didn't know what to do now that my previous fear was settled. My eyes averted down to the floor, squirming under his eye contact.

"You don't deserve any of it," he said quietly.

I walked over to him and snaked my hands around his back, holding him in a tight hug. I was grateful to have a brother as concerned as he was. He twitched at my touch at first and then tightened the embrace. He leaned his chin upon my head and I rubbed my cheek against his chest. I have never felt so safe in someone's arms before.

~~~~

Later that day I decided to put something in my stomach. My stomach grumbled just at the thought of it. I couldn't hold food down lately but I was going to faint soon at this rate, so eating a proper meal made the most logical sense. Mom had gone out for the day to run a few errands so I had to make food myself. I started to walk down from my room to the kitchen to make a quick sandwich and take a nap afterwards, but while in the middle of preparing my meal I overheard Dylan talking on his cellphone.

He was sitting on the island behind me with his phone pressed to his ear. I opened the fridge to set the lettuce and tomatoes on the countertop and my eyes glanced at him quickly to see him grinning and shaking his head slighty. I took out the other ingredients.

"Mmm," I hummed while spreading mayonnaise on my bread and slapping it together with the other end. I hummed a tune while sitting down at the counter opposite him. He cracked a smile at the phone and glanced at me, a twinkle in his eyes.

"...Yeah, so just come over as soon as possible."

"...Uh, no."

He looked away. "...Oh God, Sil, don't talk to me about your sex life....No, I...don't think that's normal, you should probably stop doing that."