The Special Day

Jai entered the home with a bag full of bribes. Deva who saw his son enter smiled at him turning from the TV.

"Jai"

"Nanna"

He smiled. He for past 25 years did not even know that he had such a caring Father. His mother saw to that he did not miss the role of father as he grew up. But after he saw Deva he understood what it was to have a father.

But thinking of mother made his smile falter. Today his mother was not there only because of his carelessness. If only he listened to his father and maintained peace. But no!

"Enti Jai?"

Deva who understood that his son was not smiling his usual way got worried. Jai smiled understanding his worry. All these years his mother took care of him like a father and now his father is caring for him like his mother. What a fortune for him.

"Em ledu Nanna. Come. Atha, all set?."

"What Jai??"

"Nothing Nanna. Just that today I felt like eating Payasam. So..."

Deva sighed and put a hand around his shoulders as they both walked in. As it was past lunch time, all went to Dining table.

Vennela who heard Jai's voice came down running with whatever speed she could manage only to stand near the dining entrance with her hands on hips, because Jai there was happily serving lunch for everyone. He had conveniently forgotten her. She angrily blew her hair fringe that fell on her eyes. She leaned on the door frame as she saw Jai serving Payasam to everyone.

Man that is her favorite Atukulu(rice flakes) payasam. And with the smell she was so sure of the cook who made it.

"Jai! Enti Nanna today?"

"You will know soon. But now open your mouth."

Deva shook his head smiling as he opened his mouth to his son who fed him the Payasam. Then he went to Vennela's mother and fed her the sweet too. That was it, Vennela could not take it anymore. She rushed to him, only to see him feed Naagulu. She had had enough.

By this time Jai, who was aware of his wife's angry stance smiled secretly as he was ready to put a spoonful into Naagulu's mouth. Other's who was very well aware of Vennela's craziness tried stifling their smile.

Vennela pushed Naagulu and took the spoon into her mouth from Jai's hand. After swallowing it, she snatched the bowl from Jai and drinking the Payasam making everyone laugh. Vennela's mother came and hit her on her head.

"Adente? If you ask he is going to give. Why are you snatching it?"

Vennela's father too came.

"And what is this? Drinking from the big bowl like Bakasura?"

He snatched the bowl from a pouting Vennela when Jai came and put his hand around her shoulders and faced his Mavaiyya.

"Why not Mavaiyya! This is her treat. After all today is her birthday."

He turned to Vennela smiling.

"Happy birthday Vennela"

He said looking into her eyes. Vennela had tears in her eyes. The Payasam was forgotten.

"Hmm"

Was all she could say as she fell on Jai's chest sobbing all over him. He chuckled as he put his arm around her and caressed her hair.