Catherine: Surprised

I scanned one last time over my work, trying to remember the highlights I had to mention during the lecture. I knew it was better to have a full auditorium to talk to, mostly because too many people meant not having to focus one's gaze on one person in general while speaking, and yet I couldn't stop the nervousness creeping up my spine.

Pinching the bridge of my nose, I tried to steady myself by breathing in and out in evenly, trying to remember something happy to calm my nerves.

Bård's smile, and his eyes. The way he would trace my movements as I wrote, and the way he would reach out to point something out. The way he would skate his fingertip over the paper as he teased about the mistake. The way his frame fit against mine when he'd hug me, and how his arms wrapped around my waist. How he'd rest his chin on my shoulder, before he would land a kiss on its crook tentatively. The way he smirked when he proved me wrong, and the way we could spend all day in silence and it would still be the best time of the week. And, everything Bård in general.

"Katie," mum's voice broke me from my reverie, and I shook the thoughts away to consider how I had missed her approach.

Flickering a glance towards the entrance of the auditorium, I inquired, "Is it time?"

"You should be getting inside," she responded. "Come on, Katie. And, good luck once again."

"Thanks mum," I murmured, and gave my mum a hug, before entering the room.

The members of the committee ware already settled, and I stepped in front of the room. Setting up the laptop, I connected it to the projector and turned around to check its functionality. Using the fact I was turned with my back towards the room and no one could actually see me, I closed my eyes briefly, took a deep breath and then turned around to face the audience as I began laying out my work.

After laying out everything I had planned, I paused, and considering how to conclude I decided, "To paraphrase what a friend once told me, 'Architecture reflects a building like character reflects a person.' Just as we all look out to figure out the makings of a person, the same way I tried to pick up what it is that deciphered my case study." Pausing for a moment I provided, "Thank you so much for your attention. Are there any questions?"

When the Q&A aspect of the lecture ended, I breathed out a sigh of relief. Biting on my lower lip, I stepped off the podium once the rest of the room began piling out. Smiling, my mum along with Fred, got up from their seats to greet me. Fred wrapped his arms around me, hugging tightly, and he stated, "You did it, Kate."

Casting a glance towards the committee, I smiled at Fred, and provided, "I sure hope so." Gulping, I turned to face mum in order to ask her, "How did I do?"

"You did great dear," she assured, resting her hand over my shoulder, clearly waiting for Fred to step away so she could pull me into a hug as well. Before she could do so, my professor's voice greeted from behind me, "Catherine."

Turning around I met the man's gaze and retorted, "Professor."

"Congratulations, Doctor Fox," he felicitated, a polite smile on his face as he extended his hand for me to shake.

"Thank you, professor," I beamed at him, shaking the offered hand.

Scratching his beard, he informed it, "I believe you will have to wait for official results, but I just had a word with our colleagues, and they were satisfied with your work enough to confirm it."

"Thank you so much for the information," I replied, nodding curtly.

"I will leave you to celebrate," he provided, "We will see each other by the end of the week, I am sure."