Part Two ~ Chapter Ten

Start from the beginning

            “A little while ago…” Ethan took a deep breath. “Matt got a note. From Mr. Grey.”

            I stood silent in the cabin as I tried to take in what Ethan had just told us. Mr. Grey  had sent Matt a note? And he hadn’t told us?

            “What’d it say?”

            Ethan looked down at the paper before showing it to any of us. Then he folded it gingerly and slipped it into my sweaty palm. I unfolded the crinkled paper as I whispered the words aloud.

            “You won’t be so lucky next time. Better watch your backs, I’m coming for you.”

            All eyes turned to Matt, who had gotten the note.

            “He threatened you again?” Julia asked. She ran an annoyed hand through her hair. “I thought that maybe he would lay off for a while.”

            I nodded. “In class he acted like nothing had happened, I figured he had given up. But then he killed Kathryn and now this note… We could be dead in seconds.”

            Johnny grabbed my hand and this time I didn’t let go of it. I was scared too. This wasn’t over. We were still Mr. Grey’s next victims.

***

            The next morning I was greeted in the dining hall with some stares.

            “Good morning,” I gave everyone a smile. It felt good to be back sitting with Matt and Julia, just like old times. (And, well, Andrew.)

            “Amy…” Julia started slowly. “What’s happened to you?”

            “I don’t know what you’re talking about.” I looked down at my pink shirt and white shorts. “I think I look perfectly normal.”

            “That’s the problem,” Julia exclaimed. “You look perfectly normal!”

            Both Matt and Andrew started laughing as they saw the observation Julia had made, realizing this themselves too.

            “She’s right,” Matt said, bemused. “What happened to your phases? You’re not a doctor anymore, obviously. Or an astronaut. Or a hippie.”

            I sighed. I guess they would have had to have noticed sometime, my crazy phases were a big part of me. I mean, what used to be a part of me. “I’m done with the phases,” I told them.

            “You’re what?!” Matt looked at me as if I was crazy.

            “I’m done with the phases,” I repeated.

            “I heard you the first time,” he rolled his eyes and waved a hand at me. “What I mean is why? You’ve been in all these weird phases ever since I knew you Amy!” Julia nodded in agreement, and Andrew was just off in his own world laughing at how amusing this was for him.

            I shrugged. “I guess I just don’t feel like it anymore.”

            Julia gave me a skeptical look. “That’s obviously not the reason.”

            I tried to keep my stand, but Julia could practically see through any lie of mine.

            Before I could say anything, MB just happened to stop by at my table. “Hey-” he stopped to greet me, but stopped when he saw me looking perfectly normal. “What’s up with you?”