Part One ~ Chapter Fifteen

“And the air was still heavy with depression, from the grief over Ethan and the fact that it very well might just be the last few minutes of our life.”
-Amy 

------------

Chapter Fifteen

Being tied up in a chair in a room with people who hate me is not my idea of an ideal Wednesday night. Yet, that's exactly how I was spending it. And I hate to admit it, but I was scared out of my wits. Detective Amy doesn't usually get scared, but when a gun is involved an exception has to be made.

My wrists burned from the rope that held my hands behind my back, itching to be free. Across from me, Matt was freaking out. I tried not to make eye contact with him, I knew that he was in pain right now.

"Mr. Grey has Ethan," he kept repeating. "My brother... Mr. Grey..."

My heart ached, I wanted to say something to him so badly. I wanted to tell Matt that it would all be okay, but I knew that was a lie. If Mr. Grey really did have Ethan, well, things weren't looking so bright at the moment.

"What if he's dead?" Matt whispered. He lifted his head up to meet my face. I could see tears glisten in his eyes. "What if Mr. Grey killed him?"

"Don't think like that," Andrew told him. "What reason does Mr. Grey have to kill your brother?"

"What reason does Mrs. Grey have to kidnap up?"

None of us knew what to say to that, because none of us had any idea what the answer was.

Though the cabin had no windows, the slight light that came from under the door made me able to see Matt's face streaming with tears. And I was tied to a chair, absolutely helpless, there was no way I could comfort him.

I looked to my side at Julia, who still had a stricken look on her face. If I was her, I would be doing the same after being held at gun point.

"Matt...?" I whispered after a while, when the silence of the cabin had become unbearable.

"Yeah?" It was hard to see him, but I could tell he was still crying. And I needed to make things right.

"I'm sorry." As I watched the tears come down his face, I myself started to feel the need to cry. "I'm sorry for lying to you, to Julia. You guys are my best friends, I never want to hurt you and... I don't want to lose you."

When neither of them replied to me, I continued on.

"And if this is the last time we ever get to talk, if we don't live to see the outside of this cabin... I want you guys to know the truth. If that means you guys hating me, then that's okay. Just please listen to me."

Even though I knew they would never forgive me, it was the right thing to do. Matt and Julia deserved the truth.

"Tell us," Julia said slowly. "Tell us what you were hiding."

I paused, taking a deep breath and bracing myself for their reaction. "It was Tim."

I heard Matt inhale a sharp breath as I said this. "Tim? Tim? Amy, how could you be so fucking stupid? I didn't think you were such an idiot!"

His words stung, but I knew I deserved them. Everyone single one of those words I deserved, Matt was struggling right now, and I'd betrayed them.

"Finish your story," Julia said quietly, not looking me in the eye.

I nodded. "Well, I know Tim was your ex- best friend Matt. It just happened so suddenly, we were at a party and it was so in the moment and... I wasn't thinking. And Julia, I didn't tell you because you'd warned me that he was a player and well, he had. Tim got what he wanted and then he'd gone and screwed a bunch of other girls too."