Chapter 1

Chapter 1:

~NATALIE'S POV~

It was my first day at a brand new school. New school. New people. New life. New problems. 

I got dressed in some black skinnies, vans, and a misfits shirt. My dad was in the kitchen making breakfast for my little brother, Carter. He was only two, and my dad dropped him off at daycare, while he went to work at his accountant office. My family was pretty... Normal. Aside from the fact that my mother had died while giving birth to Carter, I was lucky to have a fairly happy family life. I greeted my dad, and he patted my back. 

"Nervous for your first day, Natalie?" he asked. 

"Eh, not really... I'm actually kind of excited." I lied. I didn't want to make my dad feel bad for making us move to Jersey from Florida. When my mom died, he wanted to be closer to our other family members, so we moved to Belleville, New Jersey. He was having a hard time dealing with her death, and I wasn't going to make it any harder for him by complaining. "Well, I'm gonna go wait by the bus stop, see you after school" I said as I walked out the front door. It was windy, so I put on my sweatshirt and pulled the hood over my head. The bus stop was just at the end of my street. Four kids stood around the stop sign. I walked up to them and looked around awkwardly. There were two girls who I could tell had to be the cheerleader type. They stood together whispering and giggling to themselves. There was a tall jock looking guy who kept eyeing one of the cheerleaders, then there was another guy, about my height who looked out of place with the others. He stood off to the side and paid little attention to them. His hair was short and black, and he had a lip ring. He seemed interesting... But being my shy self, I'd never have the guts to start a conversation with him. 

I heard the bus come barreling around the corner, and it came to a stop in front of us. The two cheerleaders went on first with Mr. Jock following closely behind. 

"Ladies first" said the boy with the lip ring as he made a motion with his hand pointing to the bus. I smiled at him and found the only open seat at the back. He made his way down the aisle smiling at me. He slumped next to me and held out his hand. 

"I'm Frank"

"Natalie" I said smiling. 

"You new here, Natalie?" he asked while rummaging through his backpack. 

"Yeah, I just moved from Florida."

"Well, I'll just let you in on something, everyone here sucks... Oh, except for me of course" he grinned. 

"Ohh, good to know" I said sarcastically. He pulled out a pen and folder from his backpack. I looked down at his hands. He had tattoos on his knuckles that spelled out halloween. I wondered why..

"I forgot to do my chemistry homework..." he said noticing my staring. Guess he thought I was staring at his paper... "Oh, do you have your schedule? I'll see if we have any classes together."

"Sure." I pulled out the sheet of paper that listed my classes and handed it to him. He examined it for a minute then turned to me. 

"Well, Natalie... I hope you don't hate me because we have just about every class together" he grinned. 

I laughed and the bus pulled up behind the school. We walked off the bus together and he lead me around the school to show me where my locker was. 

"Ah, here we are, locker 678, mine's right over there" he said pointing across the hall. 

"Nice" I said as I entered the combination, and the door popped open. I threw my bag in and took out my binder. 

"Our first period is Math, so follow me." We walked down a few halls, passing other kids. They all looked just like the cheerleaders and jock I had seen earlier. Frank and I looked very out of place here...

Then a figure caught my eye. He was sort of tall and his light brown hair was covering part of his face, while his glasses sat on his nose. He seemed young but not young enough to be a student here.

"Natalie, are you listening?"

"What? Oh, sorry... Uh, what were you saying?" 

"I was saying that you need to watch out for Jared. " he tilted his head toward the jock on the bus earlier. "He's a real dick, and he likes to mess with new kids... Just tell me if he tries anything, and I'll take care of it."

"Oh, ok, thanks Frank." We walked into class and the teacher said I could sit anywhere I wanted, so of course I took the seat next to Frank. We talked pretty much the entire class, the teacher didn't seem to care. 

I got to know a little more about Frank. He lives with his mom, his dad left when he was little, and he plays guitar. 

"Really! Me too!" I exclaimed apparently a little too loud. The teacher shot me a look and went back to teaching. 

"Cool!" he whispered "You should come over sometime, and we can play."

I nodded my head as the bell rang. 

"Oh, next we go to Chemistry. Fun fun fun" he said with sarcasm. 

We walked down the hall then entered the classroom.  The teacher I had seen earlier in the hallway sat behind the desk. Frank took his seat and I nervously walked up to the teacher. 

"Hi, um, am I in the right classroom?" I asked while handing him my schedule. He looked up from his papers and looked at me for a moment before he awkwardly smiled. 

"Hm yep, you're in the right place... I'm Mik- er, I mean, Mr. Way. You can take a seat anywhere you like."

"Okay thanks." I turned and took the seat next to Frank. The entire class was talking and messing around. Mr. Way cleared his throat trying to get everyone's attention, but no one listened. I could tell he was shy and no one seemed to show him any respect. Frank leaned over a whispered. 

"This guy's new, it's his first year here, so no one listens to him. And plus, Mr. Way just...I don't know... Something about him makes me hate him." I felt sorry for Mr. Way.. 

"What makes you hate him?" I questioned. 

"Well he's just...too awkward to be a teacher.." he answered. 

"Class" said Mr. Way "please, uh, get out your homework from yesterday." Few kids pulled out a sheet of paper, including Frank. Other kids continued talking. Mr. Way ignored them. "Pass up your paper, and grab the worksheet from the front table please" then he took his seat and continued grading papers. 

"I'll get you a paper" said Frank getting up. He got to papers from the front and handed me one. I stared at the paper for a minute. It looked like it was in a foreign language... I had never learned this stuff at my old school... 

I turned to look at Frank; he was already working on the second problem. I looked back down at my paper. Crap. Frank tried to help me, but it made no sense to me. I decided to ask Mr. Way for some help. I walked up to his desk. 

"Oh, hi.. Natalie.." he looked up from his computer. 

"Hi, uh, I don't really understand this.." I stated pointing to the paper. 

"Hm what question do you need help with?"

"All of them.." I nervously laughed. 

"Oh" he chuckled. "Well you can come in for tutoring tomorrow after school.." he suggested. 

"Yeah, that would be good."

"Alright, tomorrow after school, just come to my class, and we'll try to get you caught up." He wrote me a pass on a little sheet of paper and handed it to me. 

"Thanks, Mr. Way." I walked back to my desk, and spent the rest of class chatting with Frank. 

The rest of the day crawled by. Frank and I sat together at lunch. He didn't seem to have many other fiends... We sat outside for lunch, under a big oak tree that covered a courtyard. I didn't have fifth period with Frank, so I felt pretty lonely, but I met back up wit him for the last class of the day. 

"This is the best class" he explained to me as we made our way to art class. "Mr. Way is awesome and-"

"Mr. Way is the art teacher too?" I asked. 

"Oh, no, it's his brother though.."

"Ohh."

The art room was messy. Especially the teacher's desk. Sketches were thrown about along side little notes and scribbles. Mr. Way had longish black hair and he held a cup of coffee with him as he approached me. 

"You must be Natalie. I'm Mr. Way. We're just starting a new project today, so you can take any seat you like."

"Alright thanks" I smiled at him. He was nothing like his brother.. He wasn't awkward at all, and I could tell that he was really talkative. I sat next to Frank, of course. Mr. Way came to our table and explained the new project to us. He was nice and from looking around at the room, he was an amazing artist. I started to doodle in my sketchbook when the bell rang. Frank and I got out stuff from our lockers and climbed into the bus. We got off at our stop and Frank turned to me.

"Hey, you wanna come over? You can bring your guitar.." he asked scratching the back of his neck. 

"I want to...but I have to be home to watch my little brother.."

"Oh maybe tomorrow then?"

"Ye- oh.. I have to stay after school tomorrow to get caught up in chemistry.." I said. His face turned sad. I hope he didn't think I was just making excuses up, so I added "Can I come over Thursday?"

His smile reappeared "Yeah!"

"Alrighty, I'll see you tomorrow Frank." He pulled me into a quick hug. 

"See ya." he smiled. 

I couldn't help but to blush as I walked back home. Frank was sweet. I could tell that we were going to be good friends. I wasn't sure if I could see us being anything more than that though...

My thoughts replayed the day. Mr.Way, my chemistry teacher, had something about him. I wasn't sure what it was, but it made me want to know more about him... I brushed the thought away. He was just my teacher, I shouldn't be so...interested in him. He was probably in his early twenties, and me being sixteen... Was it weird that I thought he was cute? Maybe more than cute. I was actually excited to go to tutoring with him tomorrow...

I unlocked the door and went straight to my room to work on some homework. I couldn't fall asleep until around 2:00 am. My mind kept wondering about Mr.Way...

~~~~~~~~~~~ 

yay ok please tell me what you think and thanks for reading <3