Chapter 34. Drowned

Comenzar desde el principio

No one answered. Maybe no one heard.

I pounded harder. "Help me! Please! Genesis!"

It felt like my eyes were closed even though they were wide open. It was too black, too lonely. I trailed my hands on the metal, desperate to know where it would lead. It never ended.

"It's like a circle!" I cried, starved to hear my own voice. It was minutes but it felt like hours. I pinched myself to know if I was awake. "Get me out of here!" My voice was raw now, grated. The beginnings of a sob. The possibilities terrified me.

Wasn't this how people went missing? They were taken from the comforts of their homes. Or maybe while leaving a parking lot, a theatre. The ruins.

My forehead touched the smooth metal in front. The victims would be placed in a dark place after, somewhere no one would find them until it was too late. Sometimes they were put in a water tank. A circular water tank made of metal like this.

I reared my head back and screamed. "Genesis! Genesis, help me!"

A scratching sound made my eyes open. A scratching that turned to groaning, the groaning to screeching. Soon after, a light so thin it could barely touch the surface of where I was, flickered. Something slid in.

I scrambled to the source of the light seconds before it vanished, and knelt on the delivery. Three times a day it would come, and I would take whatever ration was given to me. It was the only thing keeping me alive.

The cool water from the bottle soothed my throat as I swallowed. But it wasn't enough. I gulped some more until the contents were almost gone. Afterwards, I felt my way around until I touched plastic. I removed that and munched on the bread inside.

"Can you believe that, Clover?" Laughter burst from my mouth. "There's cheese on the freaking bread. Cheese! Yesterday it was mayonnaise. I don't like mayonnaise that much." I took another bite and stretched my mouth so much it ached. "Don't worry, Lilith. I haven't forgotten you. Among my dozens of newfound friends, you said you liked cheese too."

I finished the food in all of five minutes and dropped the plastic wrapper before standing up. Leaving that and the empty bottle, I went as far as possible on the tank and pulled my jeans down. My shoes began to stink of pee. But then why should I get bothered? Everything about me reeked now; my hair, my skin, my unbrushed teeth. I've been here for five days? Six? I've lost count by three.

After doing my business, I moved away from the source of the smell and sat. Most of it still followed me though. It was hard to get rid of, especially when it came from me.

"Where were we today?" My voice was loud. Or maybe everything was too loud when you haven't heard anything in a while. Or maybe I was deaf and blind and just didn't know it.

"Concentrate!" I scolded. There was something I needed to do. Something I needed to escape. My lips curled up when I remembered. "When I get out of here, I'm going to write a story about kidnapping." That's it! "Then, about aliens. Or maybe, maybe, about superstars. I like superstars."

My fingernails dug on my skin. The scab I've picked on yesterday was beginning to peel again. "I'm Destiny Jones." I wrapped my arms against my waist and rocked myself. "I'm Destiny Jones, and I'm not going to lose my mind."

A scratching sound made my eyes open. A scratching that turned to groaning, the groaning to screeching. Soon after, a light so thin it could barely touch the surface of where I was, flickered. Repeat.

REPEAT!

REPEAT!

A scratching sound made my eyes open. A scratching that turned to groaning, the groaning to screeching.