Chapter 34. Drowned

Start from the beginning

Genesis' eyes widened when I jumped from the cover of the blanket. "Get up!" I said to her. "Get dressed!"

"What?"

"Dad!" I cried on the phone. "Help us!"

"Calm down," he said, sounding like he was on top of things. "I have it all under control."

"How?!" I darted a glance at Genesis'. She was up and running, wearing her underwear, grabbing her jeans. I forked a hand through my hair and focused on dad's voice.

"Lyndon called me last night to ask if his daughter was here. I covered for you and said yes. Genesis had to sleep here so you could work on the props for the school fair."

I calmed down a little. But Gene was still running around, so I walked to her and grabbed her hand. "It's okay," I said.

"But I want you to go home now," dad ordered from the phone. "We have to talk this over."

"Yes, dad." I resigned. "I'll be there in a few minutes."

The call was barely finished when Gene reached for my face and kissed my nose. She was fully clothed now, while I was still as naked as a baby. But there was no malice in her eyes as she stepped back and took me in. Only devotion. "I'm sorry," she said.

"Don't apologize." I bent over to take my own shirt. I've worn it for three days straight.

Genesis helped me get dressed- first with my jeans, then with my socks. And though I was still in a state of shock from dad's call, it melted my heart that something as simple as putting shoes on could be as intimate as having sex, when done with the person you loved.

Gene didn't move away when I was through. She held my cheek. "Maybe I should go first," she said. "You know, just in case?"

I didn't argue and just nodded. Bear Creek forest was the safest place on earth when the ghost stories weren't counted. And with everyone knowing that she was the Governor's daughter, no one would dare touch Genesis on the streets even at this hour. Except for me, maybe. She was safe.

"I'll follow in five minutes," I murmured.

"Good." Her touch still lingered even after she removed her hand on my face. "What happened last night was perfect," she whispered. "I love you."

Genesis had disappeared through the trees when I began to collect my things. Boy and Girl were shoved into the backpack. The flashlight was salvaged before its battery died a painful dead. The blanket was folded, sniffed, then stashed beside the crumbling wall that sheltered us last night. Yes, it was perfect.

I was hooking the bag over my shoulder when a crunch sounded, followed by footsteps on the stone.

"Gene?"

I turned to look, but something, someone, covered my eyes from behind, and began to drag me off.

My scream didn't reach my own ears. A hand was clapped over my mouth.

It was still dark when I came to. Pitch-black. I couldn't see the hand I raised in front of my face, much less the few steps in front of me. "Hello?!" My voice echoed and died. I was somewhere enclosed, somewhere alone. I shuddered. "Where am I?! Please answer me!"

My brain searched for the clues while my hands felt in front. There was space and an awful lot of air. There wasn't any sound aside from my breathing. The scent didn't give me a hint.

"What am I doing here?! Who took me?!" My teeth chattered as I made a step forward, scouring, grasping, for anything to reach. My palms touched something cold, metal. I bumped my fist on it so it made a clanging sound. "Help!"