Chapter 33 - I know lots of things

Rachel and Darren had left to go on a short honeymoon further up the coast and most of Shannon's group had now gone back to England, leaving just Shannon, Karen, Holly, Jamie and Tristan in the large house, which now felt quite empty.

The five of them were sat having breakfast together a couple of days later and deciding what to do for the day when Karen's phone rang and she scuttled off outside to answer it.

"Why is she so secretive?" said Holly

"New bloke I guess" shrugged Jamie

"So it's definitely over with Heath then?" asked Holly

"Yep" nodded Tristan "She couldn't carry on really when she wanted more than just a fling with no feelings"

"Oh What tangled webs we weave" announced Jamie and they all laughed at his strange statement and cleared the table.

They headed down to the beach and found it to be fairly quiet so they managed to get a good spot.

Shannon waved at Jesse and Maxi as they ran past each with a board under their arm.

"Imagine coming to your place of work when you aren't even working"  laughed Jamie

"That's surfers for you I guess" laughed Shannon

"Who's coming in?"  yelled Tristan as he ran towards the water followed by Holly and Jamie.

"You not going in?"  Shannon asked Karen

"Nah, it's a bit cold yet" replied Karen as she stared into the distance.

Shannon followed Karen's gaze and realised that it was in fact Jesse and Maxi who were in her eye line.

"Something I should know?"  asked Shannon as she looked at Karen over her sunglasses.

Karen smiled and Shannon noticed she was blushing a bit too.

"Well"  Karen whispered "You can't tell anyone"

"Just bloody tell me, the suspense is killing me" laughed Shannon

"Me and Jesse" Karen said quietly

"Oh Karen, please don't get hurt again" begged Shannon

"I won't, I promise" replied Karen "I will not allow myself to develop any feelings for Jesse at all, it's literally just a bit of a fling"

Shannon frowned at Karen "You said that about Heath though"

"Yeah and I know what I did wrong there so I know how to handle this now" Karen assured her "Besides, what have we got now, like seven weeks left before we have to go back to the UK? It's not enough time to fall for someone now anyway"

Shannon smiled and nodded at Karen.  She had to trust that she knew what she was doing.  Besides, seven weeks was not long and she knew she shouldn't be worrying about everyone else.  She needed to make the most of her time with Kailan.

As if on cue, Kailan came out of the water after doing a simple rescue on a swimmer that had drifted into the path of some surfers and ran over to where Shannon and Karen were sat.

"Hey gorgeous" he smiled as he gave Shannon a kiss.

"Nice rescue" smiled Shannon

"Thanks" he laughed as he sat down next to her "I'm done for the day now anyway so let's do something"

Jesse and Maxi appeared with their boards and Shannon giggled to herself when she noticed the way Karen and Jesse were trying not to look at each other.

"Perfect surfing conditions out there" said Maxi

"Yeah" agreed Kailan "Especially for beginners" he looked at Shannon.

"What?"  laughed Shannon

"Well, I never finished teaching you how to surf"  he replied

"Oh no, no thanks"  Shannon shook her head.

"Awww come on English" said Maxi "We'll all go, ok"

Shannon agreed, if only to stop them all annoying her and they got up and headed towards the water.

"I'll just run and get my board"  shouted Kailan as he ran back to the lifeguard tower.

Maxi shouted for Jamie, Tristan and Holly to join them and they started to wade through the waves.

"You ok?" laughed Jesse as Shannon nearly lost her footing when a big wave hit them.

"Yeah" laughed Shannon as Jesse held out his arm for her to steady herself on.  Maxi had already dragged Karen out to join the others and Shannon laughed at poor Karen who couldn't keep up with him and was repeatedly getting dunked by wave after wave.

Jesse laughed too and he watched Karen and Maxi meet up with the others and Tristan tried to climb onto Maxi's board, failing miserably.

"You might wanna try a bit harder at hiding the whole you and Karen thing by the way" whispered Shannon, patting Jesse on the shoulder.

"Ah, she told you"  replied Jesse "I thought she might"

"Why keep it a secret anyway?" asked Shannon "You know, if it's just a bit of a fling?"

"Think Karen can't be bothered with the hassle from Holly" shrugged Jesse

"Hmmm, understandable" said Shannon as Kailan caught up with them and they had almost reached the others.

"What is?"  Kailan asked

"What we were talking about before" said Jesse

"Ahh yes mate, righto"  nodded Kailan

"You know too?" asked Shannon

"I know lots of things" smiled Kailan

Shannon smiled back at him and they swam to join the others.