Chapter 2

(James' POV)

People had told me that the bridge was haunted. That I shouldn't go near it unless I wanted to see the hopeless souls trapped there.
I never really believed much in the ghost stories, but the place still gave me chills. I never really thought I would be walking down the bridge with a goal. Mostly I would just walk over it to get from one place to another, but that day I had something to do at the bridge. In a way, I was fulfilling the stories by be another hopeless soul. 

My body was shaking, making my legs feel like jelly as I walked. I stopped almost at the middle of the bridge next to a street light. I grabbed the railing, trying to steady myself, and stared at the city. 

Lights were shining in almost every building's window and I just imagined how it would look like if they all were off. Maybe people would notice the stars more, admire the light we were given. People don't do that these days. It's sad.

A sigh escaped my mouth and I closed my eyes, going through the things I was supposed to do.

Give Blake his stuff.

Check.

Thank him for all the help.

Check.

Get my money and send it to my sister.

Check.

Everything was done, and I was ready. Maybe not physically, but mentally.
I knew that I would have privacy that night. It was 11 pm on a friday night. Most people were home sleeping or being social with family or friends. I didn't have any of that.

My gaze shifted from the city to the stars and a small smile appeared on my face. Since I was a kid I had always looked up at the stars for comfort. It felt like they were there to look out for all the people in the world and to make things a little brighter in dark times.

I hoped that the stars would be the last thing I saw.

With a forced smile glued on my face, the tears started falling. Even with fear rushing through my veins, I couldn't feel much inside me. There was a big hole where my heart was, begging to feel peace.

I dried my face with my ruined gloves and took a few deep breaths. I looked up at the stars and tried to calm myself down.

Am I really going to do this?

Second thoughts. One of the things that had controlled me my whole life. Ruined my whole life. I wasn't gonna let them stop me.

I gave a few glances at the city and thought of all the people there. All the people who were gonna know what happened here in maybe a day or two.

More tears fell and my smile had completly faded. I grabbed the street light next to me with my left hand and stepped up on the railing. Wind blew through my clothes as I looked at the view I had. Small sobs escaped my mouth and I was ready to let go.

But then I heard footsteps coming towards me. I turned my face to look who it was, and I saw a young man running as fast as he could to where I was. He shouted from afar:

"Please! Don't do it!"