Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Ivan’s POV

The final term was over and Blake had begun to move his stuff over to Clyde’s apartment which wasn’t that far. Gavin came over to help to arrange some of the furniture to accommodate Devon’s arrival in another five days.

I was cooking some spicy chicken in the kitchen my phone rang. I turned the fire to low as I answered it.

Hello, Ivan? It’s me, David,” our Uncle David’s voice came through and he sounded anxious.

“Hi, Unc. What’s up? How’s Devon?” I asked, leaning against the counter facing the stove to monitor the chicken.

He’s…about that. Something just came up and he needed to leave immediately. Is that okay? I’m sorry this is too sudden,” he said. I frowned and thought for a while. “It’s fine. Actually Blake’s moving out to stay with his fi-friend today so his room is now free. He can move in anytime. When?” I almost stumbled with my words and realized I almost told our uncle about Blake’s fiancé.

I heard a sigh of relief. “He’s flying there tomorrow morning. I’m sorry again,” he said. I pursed my lips and thought again. Blake had taken his desk with him as he loved that desk. However he left the dresser and the bed and some bookshelves behind. We only need to buy a new desk and a chair and few more items for him.

“Sure, why the hell not? We’ll take him to go shopping tomorrow too,” I replied but concerned about Devon and if it was about the bullies. He should have already graduated few weeks ago and the new term didn’t start in another 3 months. “Thanks so much, Ivan. Send Blake my love,” Uncle David said and hung up. Uncle David was my father

I continued to cook my chicken thinking when to break the news to Blake when I felt two pair of arms went around my waist. I crooked a smile and continued to cook. “Smells nice,” Gavin’s voice breathed against my ear. I always liked it when Gavin did that. He always knew where my weak spots were. “Spicy chicken. It’ll be ready in a bit. Can you look after it while I talk with Blake for a moment?” I said, turning around and glanced up at him. He nodded his head and kissed my forehead before letting me go.

Leaving the kitchen I walked towards Blake’s room and saw he was putting the last batch of his books into a box. “Hey, Uncle David just called. He sent you his love,” I said, leaning against the door frame. Blake looked up and chuckled. “Love accepted. What did he say?” he asked, putting the last book in and closed the box and sat on it.

“Yea…something just happened and Devon will arrive tomorrow afternoon. His flight is in the morning,” I told him. He stood up in surprise. “What? What happened? Is it because of the bully issue?” he asked. I shrugged. “I’m not sure. Uncle David just said something just came up. Maybe Devon will explain to us tomorrow?” I guessed. Blake’s shoulders’ slumped. “I hope not. He’s such a cool kid,” he said. I smiled and ruffled his hair. “I hope so too.”

<><><><><><><><><><><><><> 

My heart practically crushed when I saw Devon walking towards us with an awkward smile. He had a backpack on his back and a huge luggage he dragged behind him. What made me upset was his right wrist was bandaged up to his elbow, he was limping as if his left leg was hurting him. As he got closer I noticed he had a bandage below his jaw near his left ear.

What the hell happened to him?

Before I could move Blake ran forward and embraced him tightly. Knowing how Blake was, he was thinking the same thing I did. “Hey Blake,” even his voice changed. Not because of puberty but how hoarse and silent it sounded. When he looked at me, there was a pang of pain in his eyes. As much as I understood what happened to him was really bad, I needed to know what it was in order to help him as much as he can.