She looks up at me, smiling lightly. I smile back, trying to give her some comfort. Traveling with a criminal isn't the easiest thing to do. She isn't exactly a daredevil, so this is... next level for her.

"Are you nervous for what's about to happen?" She asks, her y/e/c colored eyes staring me down.

Hell yes.

I shrug it off, not letting her into my mind. I can't. "Nah. It's just them trying to figure out what's going on up here" i tell her, bringing my hands up, the left one pointing to my head.

From the shackles, it's hard to pull my hands apart far enough to make gestures. The bottom of the wrist chain is around my waist, which is connected to another chain which shackles my ankles together. This shit is no joke.

"I think you are nervous" she tells me, catching both mine and Bettleman's attention.

My eyebrow pops up, showing that i'm heavily interested in what she has to say. "Why is that?"

My question causes her to shift, crossing her legs as she thinks. "You've been quiet and you quickly apologized to Dr. Bettleman, when it was absolutely off-topic and random."

Bettleman looks at me, impressed with his prodigy. Even though he barely taught her shit.

"I'm not nervous" i lie, letting out a small laugh that was meant to intimidate her... However, it didn't.

She laughed back at me, "you may be a big and bad murderer, Grayson, but you're nothing but a bad liar underneath." She scorns, hurting my ego more than it should've.

The van comes to a stop, indicating that we were indeed at the courthouse. The front doors slammed shut and then keys jingled outside the large doors in the back.

Time to face whatever i've been scared to.

Your POV

Your small verbal stab at Grayson made you feel uncomfortable.

No, scratch that. His eyes, and the way they stared at you after you said it, made you uncomfortable. They were so dark and full of warning. Those eyes would surely put you through hell one of these days...

You silently asked yourself if Grayson knew about the possible shock therapy...

The guards who drove were now throwing open the back doors, escorting Grayson out. The metal links of his shackles all clanged together as he got out, hopping down from the floor of the van, down to the cement of the courthouse parking lot.

In appeals, there are no witnesses or jury. The only people to be there are 3 judges, Bettleman, the guards, the cops who arrested Grayson, and - of course - Grayson.

You weren't sure if you were supposed to be there, and neither was Bettleman, but he said that you were technically Grayson's psychiatrist too, so you were involved. Slightly. You didn't have to speak or anything like that, unless a judge asked you to.

You were hoping that didn't happen.

Speaking against Grayson seemed like a deadly sin. No matter what, he'd always be there to remind you that you went against him in a court of law. Because, hopefully, you don't lose your job anytime soon.

Bettleman gathers his things and all five of you headed into the back entrance of the courthouse.  Once inside, the guards break off from you and Bettleman, taking Grayson to the holding cell in the back. You stood and watched as they walked down the long hall, disappearing into a room to the right.

Your heart starts to beat faster as Bettleman guides you into the main lobby, right up to the reception desk. It was the length of the wall, multiple people standing in certain spots, even spaces between each person.

Bettleman walks right up to one man, his brown hair pushed back, surely kept in place by hairspray. It wasn't shiny. His eyes were brown, his tan skin was hidden beneath his suit. A black Rolex rested confidently on his wrist.

"Excuse me" Bettleman speaks, catching the man's attention.

The man's eyes look up immediately, looking at you. "Hello, how can i help you?"

You smile, looking at Bettleman, "Could you tell us which room case 349 would be held in?" Bettleman asks, capturing the man's attention.

"Of course, give me one moment" he says, typing on his computer. His scruffy jaw made him look in his mid-twenties. He must've been straight out of college or something.

"Court three, down that hall" he points to your left, his right, "and to the left."

Bettleman thanks him, walking away. You follow, feeling the man's gaze on you...

Weird.

You two make it into the room, noticing the judges were all ready to start. You take a seat in the audience seating and watch as Bettleman steps forth, behind the desk he was supposed to sit at.

"Alright, court is now in-session" one judge says. Her blonde hair was back in a ponytail, the black judge dress flowed over her frame. "Case 349, Grayson Dolan" she says.

The large door all the way to the left opens, the guards from earlier bringing out Grayson, leading him behind the desk with Bettleman, "Alright, let's begin," the Judge says.

Word Count: 1448