Prologue - This means war.

The thick cloud of smoke he inhaled made his senses relax and his eyes close. The little white stick filled with tobacco was lying between his index and middle finger, slowly burning away. A heavy breath escaped from his lips when he felt the smoke from the cigarette making its way through his throat and down to his lungs. 

For some unknown reason, the cigarettes were making him calmer despite the nerve wrecking days he had been having recently. His back was leaning against the leather chair, which glistened under the light from the huge crystal chandelier above his desk.

The office was small yet comfortable. A huge glass desk was situated in the middle of it and on it, piles of documents were laying around with a small dark blue ashtray in which he flicked his cigarette every once in a while.

The walls were decorated with paintings and glass shelves filled with big bottles of expensive liquor, which he occasionally opened. There was even a huge wooden shelf in where different books were arranged.

Without opening his eyes, he slowly brought the burning cigarette between his plush lips again, and exhaled, this time through his nose.

His other free hand was laid on the glass surface of the desk as his fingers slowly drummed over it, while the blood was rumbling in his ears because of the silence and expectation.

Not long after, his relaxation was interrupted when the wooden mahogany door in the back swung open and in the room walked a short, slender man in his late thirties. His black suit was neatly pressed, his eyes covered by dark glasses.

"You have a visitor, alpha." the voice of the old man was hoarse, probably from a number of cigarettes he smoked every day as his face and tone remained stoic, almost heartless.

The only thing the old man got in response, minutes later was a slight nod and with no other words he left the room. Devon took a deep breath and once he heard timid steps approaching his office, he sensed the strong heartbeat and the quick breaths.

He loved when people were afraid of him.

Devon Ryder was a slender yet muscular, tall with broad shoulders, extremely difficult and mysterious man. Only at thirty-seven, he had managed to kill so many people that even the best serial killers could not imagine. With his cold attitude and a heart of stone, he was the most wanted alpha werewolf in the world. They called him 'The Dark Knight' of Calidoll aka California.

His dark brown eyes framed with long and dark eyelashes literally managed to penetrate the soul of a person, once he looked at them. Olive skin, carved with many successfully won battle scars and ink covering his defined chest, collar bones and both of his muscular hands. His shiny raven hair was messy on top of his head, his sharp jaw was covered in slight stubble and when he curls his lips into that wicked grin everybody was afraid of, he looked like a King. The King of Hell. Many of the alphas on lower levels were also frightened of him because Devon was not only killing people.

He was one of the few werewolves with pure blood which came from the royal family, but now he had no other siblings in California since his parents who originally came from Britain and settled in USA twenty years ago were now killed when there were attacks of hunters in their territory fifteen years ago and his younger brother disappeared into thin air.

Devon's memories of his family were threatening to flood his mind, but the strong smell of despair and pain took those thoughts away. He put out his cigarette in the ashtray and focused his gaze right on the chubby figure of an elderly man, dressed up in a police uniform in front of him. His pale face, withered skin and dark green eyes made Devon raise a bushy eyebrow and turn his chair so that his feet pitched comfortably on the glass desk. He cocked his head sideways.

He was a very wanted alpha by all the omegas in the state. Every girl craved his touches and every family needed a man this powerful to be their son-in-law. But he had no intentions in getting in any type of commitment. He had way too much problems in his mind to think about love. 

"What do I owe the honor of your visit, Officer Jenkins? " He muttered, his voice with a heavy British accent was deep and soft as silk, almost calming. Almost. In the room it could be heard only the heavy breathing of the man who took a step forward, causing Devon to grin slightly, almost unnoticeable.

His grins were never genuine. They were full of darkness that people always backed away from.

There was a deep silence in the office. Devon kept his composure calm and confident.

"The official report has been released, alpha... " once the words left the officer's dry lips, the smile from the wolf's lips disappeared.

Not what he expected tho.

The only response that came from the alpha was him narrowing his eyes and leaning backward on his chair, arms crossing against his chest. He looked skeptical a little. The older man just took a deep breath and shook his head obviously caught off guard from the intimidating gaze he was literally frying under. Humans were more afraid of Devon, however, he paid no mind to their fear It wasn't as mesmerizing as the fear of a beta or an alpha. . . especially an omega.

The officer took a deep breath, then took one more step closer to the desk, making Devon hum lowly. Nobody dared to stand that close to the alpha or breathe the same air as him for too long. Devon tightened his jaw, lifted his feet off the desk and stood up abruptly. Certainly his tall figure was one of the many things that made everyone afraid of him.

"It hasn't been released out to the media yet, we thought you should take a look at it before doing so." Jenkins put a large black folder on the wooden surface of Devon's desk, sliding it on the smooth wood so it could reach the alpha.

Devon tilted his head to the side yet he remained silent. He took it and carefully opened it, his brown eyes scanning between the pages.

"Silvya Toretto, 26, has been identified as the omega found dead in the woods five miles northwest from Wrightwood. She disappeared on tenth of September last year. Reports from the autopsy say that she has been stabbed ten times in her chest area before she was brutally sexually assaulted. The police hasn't found any other clues that will track the killer down, even the semen found on her clothes was not found in LAPD's data base. " the alpha read out loud, his calm tone changed completely. He felt a warmth rising in his chest. Irritation and anger.

"I'll be damned." Devon cursed and looked up at Jenkins. "You know what this means, Jenkins?" the alpha spoke in a serious voice, squeezing tightly the folder in his hands, almost crumbling the paper.

"No, alpha." it was obvious that the cop was dying in fear. Devon's anger and pheromones filled the room, almost making Jenkins tremble in complete horror. 

There was silence before Devon finally spoke out.

"It means war. " his eyes changed color from the dark usual brown color to the color of death - red. Jenkins almost passed out from the suspense.