"There's no need to look so worried -- I just want a word in my office," she told us. "Move along there, Weasley."

Ron stared as Professor McGonagall ushered Harry and Hermione and I away from the chattering crowd; we accompanied her across the entrance hall, up the marble staircase, and along a corridor.

Once we were in her office, a small room with a large, welcoming fire, Professor McGonagall motioned Harry and Hermione and I to sit down. She settled herself behind her desk and said abruptly, "Professor Lupin sent an owl ahead to say that you were taken ill on the train, Potter, Dawn."

Before Harry or I could reply, there was a soft knock on the door and Madam Pomfrey, the nurse, came bustling in.

I felt myself going red in the face. It was bad enough that I'd passed out, or whatever I had done, without everyone making all this fuss.

"I'm fine," Harry said, "I don't need anything --"

"Oh, it's you, is it?" said Madam Pomfrey, ignoring this and bending down to stare closely at him. "I suppose you've been doing something dangerous again?"

"It was a Dementor, Poppy," said Professor McGonagall. "It went for Mister Potter and Miss Dawn.

They exchanged a dark look, and Madam Pomfrey clucked disapprovingly.

"Setting Dementors around a school, she muttered, pushing back my hair and feeling my forehead. "They won't be the last ones who collapses. Yes, she's all clammy. Terrible things, they are, and the effect they have on people who are already delicate --"

"I'm not delicate!" said Harry crossly.

"Of course you're not," said Madam Pomfrey absentmindedly, now taking Harry's pulse.

"What does he need?" said Professor McGonagall crisply. "Bed rest? Should he perhaps spend tonight in the hospital wing?"

"I'm fine!" said Harry, jumping up.

"Well, he should have some chocolate, at the very least," said Madam Pomfrey, who was now trying to peer into my eyes.

"We've already had some," said Harry. "Professor Lupin gave me some. He gave it to all of us."

"Did he, now?" said Madam Pomfrey approvingly. "So we've finally got a Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher who knows his remedies?"

"Are you sure you feel all right, Potter, Dawn?" Professor McGonagall said sharply.

"Yes," said Harry.

I nodded.

"Very well. Kindly wait outside while I have a quick word with Miss Granger and Miss Dawn about their course schedules, then we can go down to the feast together."

Harry went back into the corridor with Madam Pomfrey, who left for the hospital wing, muttering to herself.

"Now, Miss Dawn, Miss Granger," Professor McGonagall said. "The Ministry has granted me permission to give this to you both."

She held out a hand, and dangling from it was two golden hourglass charms on a necklace.

I gasped. I knew what those were!

"Timeturners!" Hermione said gleefully.

"Now I had to get special permission from the Ministry to give you these," Professor McGonagall warned. "I had to assure them that you would use it responsibly, and only for schoolwork."

Hermione and I both nodded.

"Very well," Professor McGonagall said. "You may go."

The three of us joined Harry in the hallway, and we made our way back down the marble staircase to the Great Hall.