Chapter 10: Why Is Everything Happening Illegal?

After becoming friends with Harry and Ron, Hogwarts became a lot more fun. At home, a lot of my friends had been girls but also boys too, and I had missed not having that.

Unfortunately, Harry and Ron had something they weren't telling me, as they were blowing me off to 'study' when we didn't even have any tests. Hermione wouldn't tell me why because she didn't want to betray their trust.

I didn't mind too much. Eliza and I spent a majority of our time reading and writing our on the grounds, or studying together. Occasionally I'd snap at a teacher and get myself in some trouble, but it never exceeded beyond a warning when Eliza was there.

The other girls in my dormitory were okay, but I liked Eliza best. Eden was interesting too, but she said strange things sometimes that made me worry about her.

Piper also worried me, but in a different way. She was strangely possessive of us, seeming jealous whenever we hung out with anyone other than her. We tried to invite and include her at first, but after a while, it got tiring as she always said no.

Perhaps she hadn't had a lot of friends growing up. I had heard stories that purebloods were only allowed to be around other purebloods. If they didn't like you, if you didn't fit in, you'd have no friends.

I decided to stay for the Christmas holidays, as Eliza had to because her Dad was on a trip. Hermione, Ron and Harry were staying too, and I wanted to know what was going on with them. Eden had gone home because her mum was finally home after being away for the whole school year.

Hermione had promised Eliza some notes just before the holidays had started, so we decided to use that as an excuse to get some information out of them.

I walked up to her table, holding onto Eliza's arm. Harry and Ron were also there, hastily covering many books sprawled across the surface.

"Hey Hermione, just here for the notes," my best friend smiled, "I promise I'll have them back to you in a couple of days."

"Okay, hang on, they're in my bag somewhere," she rifled through her bag, "Oh no, I forgot them! Well, you might as well stay now you're here."

Eliza and I exchanged a look. Was Hermione trying to sneakily get us involved? If so, we weren't complaining.

"As long as Harry and Ron are okay with that," Eliza said.

"Yeah, they're okay with that. Besides, I invited you guys!"

Eliza sat down right on the other side of Harry, whereas I sat next to Hermione on the other side of the table.

"What are you working on, Harry? That looks like some pretty hard content. I don't think we've covered famous alchemists yet."

"Maybe they can help us, Harry. They're both very smart." Hermione suggested.

Harry thought for a moment before replying. "Fine. They can help. But they don't need to know too much."

-

We studied for many days and nights, and even Hermione was unsure where to look. Every minute outside of class was spent in the library or the Gryffindor common room. Eliza and I still weren't completely sure what the whole expedition was about but felt pleased to be included finally.