falling \\ 5SOS fanfic

Sadness is everywhere. It's in all of us, we can't help it. Life is our own cage, a living hell. It's in your first heartbreak, your first fight with your best friend/significant other. I know I shouldn't be thinking about this, the way our lives are so messed up, without us even noticing. This is how we live; we can do virtually nothing about it. It's useless trying, really, because it always comes to you, to haunt you, to taunt you, to tease you and assure you that nothing will be fine; nothing will be okay. Nothing is ever okay. The funny thing is, though, if you look up 'assure' in a dictionary, the examples are always happy.

"The man assured us that no one was left on the bus."

Why? Why can't it be "the man assured us that the girl had a broken heart"?

Everyone sees it, all the sadness surrounding us. Though normally, people don't say anything about it, worrying that it will only bring upon more sadness.

Allow me to introduce myself:

Hello, my name is Brooklyn Isabelle Clifford, sister of Michael Gordon Clifford. I'm one year and one day younger than him, born on November 21, 1996, making me 17. It is sort of creepy, but who really cares? I have fire truck red hair, but I'll probably dye it blue soon, to match Mike's. Apart from our odd sharing of friends and interests, based solely on our looks, there is no possible way that we could be siblings. I'm about 5'6", yes, I am well aware that I am a really short 17 year old. I have billions of freckles, unlike Mike, and light green eyes, unlike Mike.

We're like that pair of siblings that are really close and know everything about each other. We share friends, food, and secrets. For example, he knows about my one particular fear: falling. Physically, as in falling off of heights and all that; mentally, as in falling in love.

I've always had a thing about love, it's never really accurate. You love someone, "so much you'd die for them", but then you break up. People who get married, the divorce rates in Australia show that every third couple gets divorced. That's really sad. I am, though, happy for the couples that do work out.

I have been diagnosed with social anxiety and depression. Both at age 14. I am really hoping that I meet one really special person to tie my life together with a double knot, not necessarily in a romantic way, maybe in a friendship way, contrary to popular belief. Tomorrow is the day that my brother is finally letting me meet his band-mates. I'm really excited, they sound like really cool mates. They still need a drummer, but I'm sure they'll find one soon.

+

-next day-

"Brookie! The boys are coming over in half an hour." Mike pops up in my doorway and grins wildly, "I'm so excited, Brookie. It's been ages since you went out, other than, you know, the parties. I think you're going to like these guys. I definitely do."

"I know, I know. Now get out, I need to get ready!" I said, kicking him out, literally.

"Oomph." I hear as soon as the door shuts, followed by a thud. I burst out laughing and call out, "protect your face, superstar!"

As soon as I'm sure that he's gone, I pull on a Nirvana spaghetti-strap crop top and black high waisted jeans. To pull the look together, I slip on yellow Toms and a yellow beanie.

I walk out and wait with Mikey downstairs. I got to admit, I feel kind of nervous as I take into consideration the fact that I have social anxiety. I begin to pull my beanie farther down my face as a car approaches the driveway. As two boys pop out, I hide my face with my hair. I slide behind Mikey and grip his arm. Two knocks are echoed throughout the house.

Mikey immediately opened the door and said hi. The two tall boys, whom I classify as Tall and Beanie, waved quick hellos and saw me.

"Who's this?" Tall asks as I shrink farther behind Mikey. Beanie furrowed his eyebrows and took a small step forward.