Chapter 29

I came in to a fantastic entrance of hardwood floors and a lot of natural wood millwork on the base and crown molding. To my left there was an elegant staircase with a beautiful wood railing leading to a second story. The haunted living room was passed the entrance to the right.

"This is where the ghost has been sighted," he said.

"Alright. Thanks Nick. Do you mind if I just have a seat and get some documents ready for signing?"

"Go for it."

I had a seat on the couch and busted out some documents from some templates I had. I wrote up a contract to get six percent of the sale if I successfully rid the house of an evil spirit and found a buyer. He showed me where his printer was in an office tucked away in the back corner of the house. It had beautiful built in book shelves lining the two back walls.

"Wow. This study is great. I think a lot of people will be drawn to this room. It really adds a lot of charm, and goes so well with the classical style that I've seen in the rest of the house so far," I said.

"Yep. This is my favorite room. I'd love to stay, but there's no way I could ever get my wife to come back here."

"Even if she knew the ghost was gone?"

"Unfortunately yes. That is very much the case."

"Well, I should be able to get you guys enough money to buy a great house that you love somewhere else in a much better neighborhood than this."

"That sounds great. I hope you're right."

I remember it being really quiet in that office. There's something about large rooms with a whole lot of wood on the walls. Your voice just bounces off of them more, and when the printer started up on my documents it felt way too loud. Like the sound was an unwelcome one to the spirit living in that place. We both just kind of stood there while the printer did it's thing, watching the page feed out with new words on it.

When the printer finished with the last page it took us a few seconds to realize it was done. Those few seconds felt like the loneliest, quietest moments of my life. I think it was then that I could somehow feel we weren't alone.

I suddenly felt unwelcome there, and like an evil presence was watching us. What made it ten times more terrifying is the fact that I knew that was probably true. If the demon was in the house, I would have to face him. I felt for the invisible sword hanging from my hip. My hand rested on the pommel, and I pressed my palm into it's smooth metal surface. This combed me for a second, and then we both heard a phone thing noise coming from the other end of the house. We both jumped. It sounded like a grand piano had fallen from the second story down onto the main floor.

"What was that?" Nick said in a frantic voice.

"I don't think you want to know," I said. "I don't think I do either. Let's get these documents signed so I can take care of this."

"Yeah. Good idea. We can sign them on the dining room table," he said.

He hesitated for a second, not wanting to leave the room I think, and then headed out the door toward the dining room. I followed him, not daring to put the glasses on yet. I knew the tools would work, but I also knew it was highly possible that I might run out of that place like a little boy.

The dining room was really pretty. Thick dark wood wainscoting trimmed the bottom half of the walls, capped with a gorgeous chair rail. A large ornate crown molding, made of matching material, swept across the tall ceiling. The dining room table that I could tell they brought over from their apartment, or wherever they have lived before, did not fit well in the room. It seated six people, but was much too small for the space.

We sat down taking up the nearest corner of the table. I laid the papers down and ask Blaine each one of them and showed him where to sign and initial. I wanted his trust so I asked him to read for himself the part about me only getting paid if I rid the property of any evil spirits that inhabited it and used any methods I saw fit to find buyers and sell his property. All that evil spirit stuff was not in the template. He read, listened to me explain things, and signed papers while asking me a few questions as we went through the pages.

"Alright. That's it. Are you satisfied with these documents?" I asked.

"Yes. Now I'm just curious how you're going to do the next part."

"Well, every time has been exciting so far."

"So are you going to like get out candles and start chanting or something?" he asked.

I smiled.

"No nothing like that. I don't think you would believe me if I told you, so how about I just show you?"

"Um, okay. What are you going to show me?"

I could tell he tried not to show it, but he was very uncomfortable just then. I think it was involuntary, but he leaned back away from me ever so slightly.

"You've seen Ghostbusters right?" I asked.

"Yeah?"

"Well they have like special tools they use, right?"

"Okay."

"Like I said, ghosts aren't real. What you saw, or what your wife saw and you saw on the video, was actually a demon. Apparently demons are fallen angels, which is also something new to me, and those things have swords."

"What do you mean apparently? You've done this before right?" Nick asked. He sounded like he was having second thoughts about inviting me into his home and signing my papers.

"I've done it twice now, but this is all new to me too. I stumbled into obtaining these special tools a little while ago. I've seen them work. They are very effective. There just a little, uh, hard to believe in."

I think the puzzled expression he gave me meant he was trying to decide if I was a crazy person or someone who could really help him. I figured I'd better keep talking before I lost him and he asked me to leave.

"So you've sort of seen a ghost, right? You know they're real, or at least some kind of spiritual beings are real. Right?" I asked.

He nodded very slowly, opened his mouth, and then several seconds later said, "yeah," in a way that sounded like he still wasn't sure he believed his own words.

"So the spiritual world exists. It's still freaks me out too, trust me. I'm not really the religious type or anything, but I've seen it and I'm telling you it exists. I have tools that I can only assume belong to the spiritual world," I said.

"And they can get rid of ghosts, or demons, or whatever?" Nick asked.

"Yep."

He paused for a few seconds and swallowed hard. Then he took in a breath and hesitated.

"Show me."