XI - Robot Dance

XI - Robot Dance

Keith balances his bagpipe properly.

“So what’s your grand plan again?” I ask in a bored way. My arms fold across my chest as I wait for his answer.

“I’m going to perform to earn money! Then we’ll have enough to at least buy a simple meal and use the telephone. If there are more, we can get a taxi to Loch Ness,” Keith replies, adjusting his red hat.

I take out the twig that is sticking out of his hat. “Don’t traumatize the kids with your awful playing,” I say, smirking.

Keith rolls his eyes. “Yes, boss.”

I scowl at him.

Keith ignores me and starts to play his bagpipes. A few kids and adults stop in their tracks to listen to Keith playing. However, Keith’s playing is not good enough to make them give us money.

“Mummy, what is the girl going to do?” A little girl says, tugging onto her mother’s arm.

“I don’t know, sweetie. Is she in the performance or not?” The last question is directed at Keith.

Keith stops playing to answer, “No, ma’am. She’s not.”

The girl’s mother frowns and walks away with her daughter. Majority of the crowd walks away too. Keith looks in disbelief at the crowd that is not leaving any money on the handkerchief I laid on the ground.

We still have no money!

“You have to do something,” Keith hisses at me. “Quickly or the rest of the audience will get bored and leave as well!”

“What can I do?” I ask, panicking.

“I don’t know! Think of something!”

“I have no idea as well! Why don’t you think of something?”

Keith slaps his forehead. “Hurry up already! I’m going to play ‘Scotland the Brave’ now so you better do something or we’re never going to get out of here!”

Before I can protest, he starts to play the bagpipes again. I sigh out loud in frustration.

Many eyes follow my direction as I drop my knapsack and walk in front of Keith.

He looks curious.

Think, Kaya! Do something to earn at least a few notes or coins and then you’ll be done with it!

My legs and hands start to twitch in anticipation. My brain supplies information to my body. The next thing I know, I’m doing Michael Jackson’s moon dance.

The audience looks baffled at my dancing. My dancing is not synchronized with Keith’s traditional song at all. I must have looked like a lunatic at this very moment.

Once my feet hurt from all that shuffling, I stand still and then move around in calculative way like a machine.

Robot style!

I manage to cast a brief glance at Keith, who looks like he’s going to burst into laughter. To be honest, the audience is laughing at my horrible dancing as well.

I’m never going to dance after this is all over, I vow silently in me head when I stop dancing robotically.

Keith ends his song as I jump in the air, doing a star jump.

Worst dancing ever, but the crowd seems to love it. I look down at the handkerchief to see a hill of money.

“More! More! More!” the crowd chants.

Keith takes a step so he’s next to me and takes my head. Together, we bow at the audience who is clapping loudly while asking us to do more. Some are still laughing, a few smiling and others recording the performance…

I stare at the teenagers who have their smartphones with them.

I have a feeling this is going to be on the Internet in ten second’s time.