“Oh, and Annabeth,” You could hear the smirk in his voice. “I think someone wants to say hi.” I heard shuffling and then a voice I loved with my whole heart and more. 

“Momma?” The voice called, in his cute deaf voice. It was one of the couple words he could actually say. Although he was hard to understand by being deaf and all, I could hear that his voice was weak.

I was beyond feeling anger, beyond feeling sadness, and beyond feeling sorry for myself. If this is how it’s done, so be it, I thought.

“Annabeth,” His voice rang out one last time. “You have ten minutes. Go.” He clicked the speaker off.

“Annabeth? Annabeth?” It was Blake, but I couldn’t hear him. “Are you okay? What do you want to do?”

“If this is the game he’s playing, then I’m playing. And I’ll be the MVP.” I said. My voice was strong. No one could stop me now. 

“Are you sure? He’s dangerous, Annabeth. You know what he’s capable of.” He said, warning in his voice.

“That’s exactly why I need to get Josh away from him.” I told him, my eyes meeting his, unwavering. 

“I don’t have a good feeling about this.”

“I learned a long time ago that feelings are more like directions that everyone ignores.”

“Maybe for you.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” I asked, slightly insulted.

“Well, you always go with what your heart’s telling you; why don’t you listen to your brain for once? The logical part.”

“Maybe my heart has logic.”

“I think when you’re angry, your comebacks get worse.” He said smirking.

“I think you like to change the subject. Back to present and relevant. Now, how am I supposed to get Josh back? He’s going to obviously want me to go with him.” I continued voicing pros and cons to each plan I had, Blake just stared.

“I can’t believe this.” He said.

“What?” I snapped.

“You.” 

“What about me?” 

“Are you really going to let him kidnap you?”

“Well, technically, I am willingly going with him, so it’s not kidnapping.”

He waved his hand at my comment, as if he was swatting an annoying bug out of his face.

“In that case, you’re not leaving this room.” He said, folding his arms over his chest, stretching his black t-shirt tight.

“Really? Well, watch me.” I began my route towards the door. He followed when I began walking faster towards the door on the opposite side of the largest classroom in the school. 

I was reaching the door, Blake behind me because he tripped on a desk. Suddenly, the door handle jiggled. Someone was coming inside. I was mere feet away. 

“REN!” Blake screamed. “GRAB HER!” I was just getting around Ren, when he grabbed me by my waist and swung me around, closing the door with his foot behind us. 

“Okay.” He said, obviously confused. “Now what?” 

“HOLD HER!” Blake yelled, finally untangling himself from the legs on the generic school desk. 

Ren dropped me and spun me around before I had a chance to take a breath. My back was against his chest. He held my hands behind me with his, like handcuffs. Although, I was struggling so much to get free, that he simply used one hand to grab both of mine and the other to hold me against him. I blew my hair out of my face with defeat. He laughed.