Chapter Two

Emerging from behind the back of her white house Isabelle found that the streets were in chaos. Smoke rose slowly from two crashed cars further along the road and the occasional dead body littered the pavement. How had this not woken me up? Isabelle thought incredulously as she toke in her surroundings. She nearly gagged when one of her feet landed in a pool of blood as she took a step forwards.

A movement out of the corner of her eye snapped Isabelle out of her observations. She held her hand to her mouth as a figure came barreling out of the house next to her own, its nose lifted to the air in search of prey. It turned out that Mrs Summers wasn't being abused by her husband, she was being eaten. Chunks of flesh were missing from along her arms, and even one of her hands was missing, and angry red stump dripping black blood all that was left. As her eyes swung to face Isabelle she noticed that Mrs Summers' jaw had also been dislocated.

Isabelle barely had time to raise her hockey stick before Mrs Summers was on top of her, teeth gnashing as she tried desperately to reach Isabelle's neck. A loud clicking from behind them signaled that Annette Corbeau had found where her prey had disappeared to. 

Isabelle was frantic as she tried to roll Mrs Summers off of her. Finally she pushed the older lady off after forcing the hockey stick into her mouth and launching her sideways. Isabelle ran blindly down the street with Mrs Summers following after her as the creature found her footing. Her attention was quickly caught by an older man attempting to get his car to start.

Not paying attention to your surroundings was usually a bad thing and this time was no different. Isabelle found herself outside of the Hunting and Fishing store towards the middle of town. She couldn't remember running that far from her house but apparently she had. Isabelle only hesitated for a second before pushing through a rush of people and into the store.

It was chaos inside as people frantically tried to grab everything in their path. Isabelle was jostled around as she forced her way through the mass of people and towards the camping section. Display cases had been shattered and removed of their guns and bullets but luckily there were still a few knives left on display. Isabelle grabbed two large hunting knives before moving on. She was reaching for a canteen on the floor when Isabelle felt a large forced slam into her, sending her sprawling to the ground. Looking up fearfully she met the eyes of a rather large man.

"Give me all your stuff," he demanded as he brandished a kitchen knife threateningly. Isabelle swallowed and slowly reached around to grab her duffel bag from off her back. She had no chance against a man that size and didn't want to find out what he would do to her if she refused. Despite cooperating with the man he decided to lift his knife anyway in preparation for a strike. Isabelle lifted her arms up to shield herself but the blow never came, instead a large slam beside her made her jump. The man lay unconscious beside Isabelle, a heavily pregnant girl standing over the man's body with a frying pan.

"Thanks," Isabelle breathed as she pulled herself to her feet and retrieved her duffel bag from the large man's grasp. "I thought I was done for". The girl had yet to speak as she was staring wide eyed at the man on the floor. "Did you need any help--?" The girl bolted in the other direction, leaving Isabelle alone in the mass of panicking humans. Isabelle glanced around but her eyes didn't land on anything useful that anyone might have missed. She started to move towards the exit, a stroke of luck found in a metal canteen that someone must of accidentally kicked underneath a fallen mannequin. 

Isabelle was just pushing her way through the last of the crowd near the front of the store when she heard the one sound that now truly terrified her.

Zombies came stumbling into the store clicking relentlessly as they searched eagerly for their prey. Isabelle slung her duffel bag over her shoulder and turned to bolt back through the crowd of people, not stopping as they complained loudly at her. But soon those complaints were drowned out by the screams of any caught near the front of the store.