CHAPTER 2

YOUR POV
1:35PM

You can blame me
Try to shame me
And still I'll care for you
You can run around
Even put me down
Still I'll be there for you

Nathan and I went for our usual pancake run at the diner before going to a quiet spot away from it all, nearby the coast. The music rang out behind us, winding down the closer we got to the water. The past hour had been the same as always, it was nice- just the way I liked it. We sat back with our legs dangling off the boardwalk, both still aside from his little twitches. We watched the roaring ocean waves and the birds escaping.. whales and other marine life weren't rare sights in Arcadia Bay, their majestic nature always captivated me. But fuck SeaWorld, dude.
I pulled my camera out of my bag and snapped a shot, not for any projects, but for memory sake. I smiled down at the deep blue on the screen before tucking it away. Nathan kept quiet for the most part mostly because he knew how engrossed I got at sappy shit like this.

"You heard about the 52-Hertz whale?" Nathan spoke softly, leaning closer towards the sea and tucking his arms into his lap. Normally I would reply a quick 'nerd' or 'are you fucking kidding me' but there was a sting in his voice.

"Enlighten me, Nathan." I replied, genuinely curious about whatever the hell he was thinking. He was like that sometimes; so unequivocally an open book but it was in a language I couldn't read. And you know how undependable google translate is..

He sighed before starting, running his hands through his hair. "Whales normally vocalise on a frequency of 15-to-25 Hertz. This one whale... can't. Fuck. No other whale can understand. 52 Blue, they call him. "

"I think I know what that feels like." I spoke exactly what was on my mind, placing my hand on his as he stilled continued to shy away from my gaze. My next thought was, of course; he has time to read about this kinda shit but not finish his homework?

"What the hell are you talking about? Everyone fuckin' loves you. Even Gayram.. God." He snapped, taking me aback as he continued to sulk. Here we go again.

"It's Warren, asshole. Don't be such a baby. And I'm pretty sure Brooke still hates me from when I tripped her that one time last year." I playfully slapped his cheek, only for him to shrug me off. Not to toot my own horn, but I think I do a pretty good job at lightening the mood.

"Why do you do that?"

"Do what?"

"That."

"What is that, Nathan?"

"Not go batshit crazy."

"Just have too much to lose, I guess. Spend your whole life becoming a person just to stop living after shit goes South? Shame."

Tightening my lip into a fine line, I let the truth set in. I never bothered telling him because I knew he had his own miseries. Everyone at Blackwell did. Even the most hopeless and ignorant people. What was it, about the truth setting you free?

"I.."

The world
May think I'm foolish
They can't see you
Like I can
Oh but anyone
Who knows what love is
Will understand

Just before he could open his mouth to let what I presumed was the word 'sorry'- rarely used by him- my phone vibrated.

VICTORIA CHASE: u left me alone in class today. BOO
ME: I'm there in spirit
VICTORIA CHASE: stop ditching class cokewhore
ME: Always with good reason...
ME: love u forever Vic

"Come to the party with me tonight." Lighting a cigarette as if the past 5 minutes never happened, he stuck it out to me, as a peace offering. "What, the fifteenth 'craziest one of the year'? Fat hope. You guys always go so crazy while I look after you guys." I accepted the cigarette and gently tapped my foot against the dock. I giggled as I recalled those memories. Nathan falling asleep 30 minutes in, Victoria throwing up on Dana's new dress. It was all in good fun, sure. But I didn't know how much more of it I could take. What was it for? To brag about how fucking great we all were online? To feel like somebody for 3 years of our life?

"Please. It'll be easier with you there." There it was. The pleading, the softness I could only ever see one on one. Right on time, I got a text.

VICTORIA CHASE: If u love me sooo much u'll come tonight. lol

"Fucking fine."

7:30pm

"Bit early, Vic?" I let myself into her warm toned bedroom holding my shower basket, as she pouted in-front the full body mirror that captured the light of her glowing dress that cut off at her knees. Shimmery and reflective, 80s inspired. "It was my mom's," she would say sometimes. Sure, she loved old shit. But she knew how fashion cycles worked too.

"You look like shit." Gee, thanks. I took that as my cue to leave, so I exited without little hesitation. In my rush of movement I almost go steamrolled over by Max and her friend. Who else, but Chloe Price. We were face to face for a moment before it settled in, letting the dust around us settle.

"Chloe... hi." was all I could build up the courage to say. "(Y/N)." Wow, not too warm and friendly. Could I blame her? She wasn't too big of a fan of my friends and I didn't help much when it came to Rachel. In fact, she probably hated us even more now. I hadn't had the guts to reply to her messages. We couldn't help, I know we couldn't. Being faced with that guilt is a different story, though.

"Oh.. You guys have met.". Max said in her meek voice, nodding calmly with a soft smile.

"Yeah, yeah... How are you, Ch-"

"Waste of time. Let's get the fuck out of here." I don't know if it was guilt or the fact that she thought I was one of them. I needed to constantly prove that I wasn't, and so...

"Hey, I know shit hasn't been good lately. But there's a party tonight, if you guys wanna come. Especially since you're new Max. Just say I put you on the list. If it doesn't work, give me a call. The usual place, Chloe." I said it so quick in burst form, I prayed Victoria didn't hear me. As if she wouldn't know I was the one behind it. If they even came.

I saw their faces change, and as if in some secret language, their eyes communicated with each other something that was beyond my understanding.

"Thank you, (Y/N)." Max said before turning to Chloe for her response, she was less responsive to it.

"Wow. Sounds like fun." Chloe said with her unreadable eyes, though I knew it was beyond sarcasm.

"Something like that." I giggled and tried my best to avoid eye contact. The pre-party was soon, I needed to get ready. I let myself through them to the bathroom.

"I'm gonna go." In my attempt to look busy, I checked my phone.

2 UNREAD MESSAGES
NATHAN PRESCOTT: outfit pics?
NATHAN PRESCOTT: just so we look good together

Urgh, here we go again.