Thanksgiving

The feelings I felt right now was something I never wanted to feel. Especially towards the person they were directed towards.

I held my breath as I watched him from the corner of my eye pass my seat at the dinner table on his way to the head of the table. Chills and desire filled my body- something that always happened around him.

"Happy Thanksgiving everybody!" My mother brightly shouted with her third wine glass shot in the air. Family and friends cheered back around the table mounted with food and beverages. Holidays were a big deal in my family. Where everyone gets together over a great feast and proclaims all that they are thankful for- which usually ends up with a night of crazy drunk people.

These were nights I looked forward too. Since turning 21 this year, I was finally able to tag along when my family decided to ditch home and go out to a bar at the end of the night. Family as in my older brother and cousins. Every year I would be left home babysitting my younger siblings which usually ending up in screaming tantrums and big messes.

"So I for am thankful for my X-BOX, computer, beer, my car and ... My girlfriend." Jake, my brother, proudly announced with his arm around his girlfriend, Chelsea. Chelsea's face lit up and she gave my brother a adoring glance.

I rolled my eyes," So you're not thankful for your family?" All eyes went to me. One of those eyes I knew were HIS piercing blue ones.

Jake made a face at me and took a swig of his beer," Yeah but I picked the top things that have saved me in college. And all of those items I said DEFINITELY did."

My twin cousins George and Percy started to giggle across the table. Of course they would laugh. Jake, George and Percy were thick as thieves since they were born and annoyed the hell out of me. With their blonde and green eyes that closely resembled my Aunt Mara, they definitely didn't have a hard time getting the ladies.

I glared at brothers taunting face and opened my mouth-

"Alright, alright. Devin what are you thankful for?" My mother intervened and asked my Aunt Mara's husband.

"Thankful for my family and my job. If I didn't have the job that I have now, I don't think I would be sitting here right now with you guys." He smiled and Aunt Mara squeezed his hand on the table in support.

It was true. Devin worked hard and had dealt with some pretty shitty jobs and pay in the past and Aunt Mara still stuck by his side. Now he recently got a promotion at the construction company he was working at which skyrocketed his pay and made his families life a lot easier. Especially since he had two sons in college and two daughters, Lily and May, who were still 8 and 9. Aunt Mara owned her own coffee shop/ bookstore which I worked at right now that was pretty popular considering it was close to the college that I attended.

Everyone around the table continued to say what they were thankful for and when it landed on me I said I was thankful for my mother and other people in my life.

Then it was his turn.

At the head of the table he powerfully sat with my mother at his side. Her manicured hands clutching onto his muscular arm.

He cleared his throat," One year ago I would of been spending Thanksgiving on the beach in the Bahamas. That may sound like a dream to people but for me it wasn't. I would rather spend an evening like this with my wonderful family then on a beach."

Everyone hooted and cheered raising their glasses but he raised his hands quieting everyone.

Glancing at my mother he continued," But if I hadn't spent last year on that beach, I wouldn't of met my beautiful wife Kathy. Kathy you're the best thing that has happened to me and I love you." My mother kissed his cheek as he turned his attention to my brother and I," And to Jake and Scarlett. Thank you for being the best step-kids out there."