"He went right back to sleep again, but doctors anticipate a full recovery. Now maybe we can get some answers from him."

"I hope you will. Thanks for letting me know."

"Thank you for helping him, Hunter." Her voice choked up. "The doctors said if it hadn't been for your quick response, we probably would've lost him."

"Please don't cry, Mrs. Weston. I was happy to help. Keep in touch, and let me know how it goes. I'll see if I can get over there to see him soon." She thanked me again and we hung up. I looked up to see Cami and Clay waiting expectantly.

"Russ woke up," I said with a relieved sigh. "He knew who his parents were and asked about me. They think he'll make a full recovery. He's sleeping again now, but they're going to question him when he wakes up again to see if they can figure out what happened."

"Hunter, that's wonderful news," Cami said, throwing her arms around me in a giant bear hug.

I slipped my arms about her waist and placed a kiss against the side of her head, basking in the moment of relief in her embrace. Clay stared at us with a distasteful expression. He didn't appear the least bit happy.

"Maybe you and I can drive to Albuquerque this weekend to see him, if it's all right with your parents," I said.

"I'd love to. I'm sure they'd let me go. We have the dance tonight, but we could go tomorrow. My aunt lives there too. I bet she'd let us spend the night at her place, and we could come back on Sunday since it's such a long trip."

I released her. "I think that would be great. I'd enjoy spending the extra time with you."

Clay didn't speak a word, but he looked positively enraged. I was sure he'd do everything he could to dissuade Cami from going the minute my back was turned.

"Let me call my mom and tell her what's going on," Cami said, pulling out her phone.

I nodded and continued eating my lunch, pretending not to notice Clay staring at me as if he'd like to strangle me right there.

"She says I can go, and she'll call my aunt to set things up for us." Cami was beaming as she hung up, seeming happier than I'd seen her in days.

"Sounds good," I replied. "Thank you."

"I can't wait. It'll be great to see Russ again, and it will be fun traveling with you." She leaned over and pecked me on the cheek. "I love being with you."

I couldn't help my grin and chuckle. "I feel the same. It'll be nice to be alone together. We haven't had much of that lately."

"No, we haven't."

I wondered if Clay realized she'd practically forgotten he was still sitting with us. Cami had made no secret over how she felt about me, but he continued to hang around and act like he had a chance with her. It made me feel uncomfortable. He didn't seem able to get the message.

Tomorrow . . . maybe tomorrow I could finally tell her about Clay.

The bell rang, signaling it was time to get back to class, and the three of us gathered our things. I listened to Cami chatter happily about her aunt as we walked down the hallway to class, and it was great hearing her sound like her old self again.

The music was pulsating loudly in the transformed gymnasium, complete with a false fabric ceiling and giant, glittering, decorated masks strategically placed around the room. A huge silver disco ball hung in the center, casting its fractured light about the space. It made all the shiny surfaces reflect and glow as if tiny jewels were implanted in their surface.