Mr. Hale turned his worried gaze to his daughter. Margaret longed for her bed just as avidly as her mother, but seeing the look of anxiety and distress on her father’s face, knew she could not disappoint him.

“I would be happy to join you, Father.” She was rewarded by his swift kiss upon her forehead.

Margaret had no desire to spend time with Mr. Thornton. She was cold and tired and hungry, and the thought of sitting in the parlor making conversation until she was set free by his departure irked her. Furthermore, she thought she had been spending entirely too much time thinking of him of late. Why he should occupy one iota of her thoughts was a mystery to her. Perhaps spending time in his company might remind her of why she did not care for him, she reflected as she followed her father into the house. Before they reached the entrance to the parlor, she was once again mistress of her thoughts and emotions, and was able to politely nod at Mr. Thornton and wish him good evening upon entering the room.

When he had heard a carriage drive up to the door, Mr. Thornton had stood in eager anticipation. It had been a fortnight since he had seen Margaret, and he remembered the words she had penned in her letter as if she had written them that very day. He had resumed his seat as Mr. Hale bustled out the front door, and sat listening for Miss Hale’s voice, but could not discern her tones from the general babble in the entryway.

When she had entered the room in the wake of her father, he surged to his feet. His eyes had sought hers, but she would not meet his glance. Instead, she nodded at him and offered a cool greeting before hurrying to the tea table to pour.

She had handed her father his cup, but had placed Mr. Thornton’s cup on the small table at his elbow. Stopping to rummage through an embroidery basket in the corner of the room, she brought forth a folded piece of cambric and resumed her seat near the parlor entrance. Mr. Thornton observed her a few moments, hoping for a chance to speak with her, but she would not meet his eye. He thought she looked pale, and wondered if she were ill.

Mr. Hale appeared oblivious to the tension between his friend and his daughter. He resumed his conversation with Mr. Thornton, asking after business at the mill. Mr. Thornton answered automatically, all the while wondering what he had done to offend Miss Hale.

When their conversation moved to the classics, Mr. Hale quoted from Cicero. To Mr. Thornton’s surprise, Margaret completed his quote. Seeing Mr. Thornton’s expression, his friend laughed and explained, “Margaret has a thorough knowledge of the classics—I have told you of this before, but can see you did not believe me. However, it is nothing compared to her knowledge of the Bible.” Before Mr. Thornton could formulate a reply, his host quoted, “The Lord is your keeper: the Lord is your shade at your right hand.”