viii. Tough Love

[ vii . i ]

Sandy blinked sleepily, still disoriented but now sober after the previous night's escapades. Sunlight snuck in from the windows, blinding her. She could feel Freddy's hand combing through her hair behind her and she let out a quiet groan before rolling forwards off the edge of the bed.

Without turning around, she yanked his t-shirt over her head and set it on the mattress. She then picked her dress up from off the floor and threw it on, standing to pull the skirt down. Freddy sat up, exhausted.

"You're leaving?"

"Mhm," she grunted, kicking her boots on and reaching for her purse. She wandered to his bedroom door.

"I'll see you later then?" Freddy rubbed his eye, swinging his legs off the bed. He found himself desperate to see her face again. She turned briefly but avoided looking him in the eye, instead staring at the center of his chest.

"Yeah," she muttered, moving quickly out of the room and slinging her bag over her shoulder. Before Freddy could get out another word the front door clicked shut and she was gone. He plopped back on the bed, weighing whether or not it had been worth it. Staring at the ceiling, he let out a sigh and curled up under his blanket.

[ vii . ii ]

"You're fired. You're fuckin' off the case."

Jim stormed away, leaving Freddy to fend for himself. And the last thing he wanted was to make this day any more disappointing.

"I didn't say I wasn't gonna do it," he contended, making no moves to follow Holdaway. The taller man swiveled back around. "I was just remarking on how shitty the situation is."

"Look, man, I don't mean to be harsh with you, alright?" Jim started walking towards him again, trying to cool his temper. "But I find that tough love works best in these situations. Now we have got to get Cabot in the vicinity of the loot and the company of the thieves—we don't give a fuck about those other bastards." Freddy crossed his arms and looked to his feet. "We're willing to offer them good deals to testify against Cabot."

"Any chances we might let any of 'em off the hook?" Freddy blurted, immediately regretting the exposure he just gave himself. Jim squinted. "I's just askin', cause—you know...uh," he shrugged in an attempt to play it off. "If they recognize me later—"

"This about the girl?"

"—What, no?" He sighed, knowing his cadence gave him away.

"Listen, lover boy," Holdaway put his hands in his pockets, beginning to pace. "I can't make you any promises. She'll be offered a plea deal like the rest of those jackasses but we can't be sure of anything too soon. And I'm gonna warn you right now: you better keep it in your pants 'fore you get yourself into trouble. Don't lose sight of who she is and who she's working for." Freddy licked his lips and nodded. "Now would you forget the broad and keep in mind what's important here. Now, as I was saying—Cabot. Vicinity of the diamonds."

"Yeah about that," Freddy uncrossed his arms, slipping his hands in the back pockets of his jeans. "Isn't this risk...a little unorthodox?"

"What risk, man?"

"Lettin' them go ahead with the robbery?"