ii. Switch

[ ii . i ]

"So where exactly are we?" Freddy asked curiously, looking out the passenger side window. They had been driving for nearly an hour, finally escaping the clamor of the city as they reached the quiet winding road.

"Lake Piru," she responded, her eyes searching as far as her headlights could illuminate.

"Oh." Freddy turned his head to look out of her window, seeing the black lake water a few yards out below the road. "It's nice."

"Right?" Red looked at him and smiled before craning her head back to the light. "It's worth the drive."

He followed her line of sight into the dirt road. "Where are we headed?"

She squinted. Her eyes looked brown from inside the dark car but caught a flash of light, glinting their golden color as the took a sharp turn. "I'm trying to find more trees."

Freddy nodded and shifted in the passenger seat. Still keeping up his bad-boy act, he propped his arm out of the open window and let the passing wind rustle his hair.

Red found a small, flat clearing a few feet off the road shrouded by tall cedar trees. As she slowed to park between a couple of bushes, Freddy looked over the hood of the car, finding the edge of the lake was just below a small drop a few feet ahead of them. The dark water rippled, sparkling under the white glow of the moon.

Red shut off her headlights, leaving the two illuminated only by the dim overhead bulb in the roof of her car. Her long lashes cast a feathery shadow  on her cheeks as her eyes met his patiently.

"So what's your real name?" She popped the question nonchalantly, unzipping her yellow jacket and squirming her way out of the sleeves.

Freddy raised his eyebrows, wondering if this was a test. "I thought we weren't--"

"It's fine," she dismissed and threw her jacket behind her seat. "I'm Sandy."

In the split second that passed, Freddy's mind raced with a million different thoughts. The likelihood of it not even being her real name were high, but part of him trusted her for some odd reason. The innocence in her smile forced him to surrender.

"Freddy."

He had thought if he'd let his name slip to anyone, he'd instantly regret it. He thought he'd feel some twist of a knife in his gut and beat himself up about it for being stupid. But he felt, dare he say it, relieved. The air in the car felt clearer. The few seconds of silence that ensued weren't uncomfortable; he almost felt electric. His green eyes flickered to her mouth. In a very quick but fluid movement, Sandy leaned over the console and Freddy took a soft breath in preparation to feel her lips on his.

Instead, he received a cold breeze to his ear from outside. Her hand was gripping the edge of the red leather seat between his knees, weary not to get too touchy. She reached her arm under it and yanked out a crumpled paper bag. He exhaled, feeling that same disappointment from earlier in the evening, only this time it was followed by a little less rejection and a little more desire. Still, he bit his lip and rolled up the window.

"So Freddy," she chirped, the brown bag crinkling as she dug her hand into it. "You like blueberry?"

"Wh--yeah." Freddy wasn't stupid, nor was he naïve. He knew better than to live half his life undercover without knowing basic information on drugs, namely weed. Not that he didn't have any experience with it under his belt-- he'd given it a try or two in college and never really got into it. He supposed if he'd never tried it in the past, this would have been the point where he'd be fucked.