Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

The Cecils departed quickly leaving for the comfort of their estates. In the carriage on the ride back home, Charlotte remained quieter than ever - almost disturbingly so.

"You needn't gwak William, it's quite rude. Don't worry, perhaps you'll share the same disposition too when you're in love." Fanny ended in a sing song manner.

"Grandmama!" Charlotte exclaimed as her cheeks gave way to embarrassment.

"Your grandmama isn't a liar!" Fanny declared.

"Well at least you'll take this arrangement without complaint now," William muttered. Charlotte ignored him as she lived in her mind. She only thought of one thing and that was Jonathan. Oh wonderful he had smelled and the way his skin felt against hers, she couldn't believe these thoughts but she was losing herself into indulgence, infatuation even.

A hollowness occupied the space within Jonathan's soul as he watched the Cecil carriage disappear from sight. He wanted her to stay forever, forever in her arms and he was determined that he'd visit their estate sometime. Perhaps if he was more sick, she'd take a kinder approach to his being. He laughed at the thought, picturing her face again and the touch of her flesh made his loins harden, his manhood wishing for her - pining for her. But he had to stay put under house arrest due to doctor's orders. And if he attempted to flee out, he knew his grandfather would have a fit.

Once home, Charlotte had done her best to return to the routine of things. She practiced the pianoforte, she read her books but nothing could distract her from her longings. With boredom settling in, she was growing stuff of her home. Thankfully Ellen had decided to visit for tea, someone else would be here to entertain her as she waited for further engagements with Jonathan.

"From what London gossip has obtained, you're practically promised to Lord Lennox." Ellen sipped her tea cup delicately.

"But he hasn't proposed. We're merely ... engaged with each other." Charlotte nibbled on a scone as she watched Ellen's eyes flit around. She did that when she was thinking, an unconscious habit really.

"Lord Wilmington, Howard that is, was having a fit. You should've seen him!" Ellen said with a giggle.

"A fit? On my behalf? How surprising."

"He intended on marrying you after all but now his prospects for a beautiful doll-ish bride is over. I've heard that he intends on pursuing another fair haired blonde, Anne or something. May god bless her soul."

"Good riddance. I couldn't be more thankful to have removed such a troublesome thorn from my side."

"I've never seen you look so chirpy and pleasant. Especially at this time of hour."

"I... I'm happy." Charlotte confessed.

"I'm glad you are. Though I know it's terrible on my behalf to shatter your bliss but I think it's best of me to inform you of Lord Lennox's reputation."

Charlottes ears perked up. "Reputation? Of what?"

"Well, rumor has it that the man's a fairly notorious for being rakish. Not a complete rake but has tendencies. Not to offend your brother but very similar in manner to him."

Charlottes throat tightened. "Are you sure?"

"Partially, but I believe gossip doesn't sprout from nowhere. There should be some sort of validity in it, don't you think Charlotte?"

"Yes, thank you Ellen."

"Really I'm sorry to have to tell you about this but I wasn't sure if you knew."

"I didn't," Charlotte confessed but forced a smile for her friend. "I'm glad that you've told me. I shall be warry."

Ellen sighed as she nodded, the remaining of their conversation ended with a damper.

Charlotte couldn't quite put her thoughts aside as Ellen's warning repeated in her head. She wanted to see if it was true but how would she do so? She wasn't sure. It wasn't until another invitation for a ball arrived at her door did it click within her. This time the girl was willing to attend, she knew that Jonathan would be there and so would other eligible ladies. If what Ellen said was true, she'd catch him in the act and she'd unleash her fury. She didn't want to believe it and she clung onto faith.

The evening of the ball had a different feeling to it. On contrary to other occasions where Charlotte enjoyed taking all the time in the world, that night, she was quick. She had dressed far more subdued than usual, her assets covered up as she had one intention, and that was to blend in with the horde of people as she observed Jonathan Lennox.

"At least you should've tried to look like you put an effort," William commented as he stared at her up and down.

"What does it matter?" Charlotte grumbled.

"You're right, after all, you're practically engaged. No other man needs to see you looking like a peacock."

"You're so impertinent!"

"You too sister."

"SHUT IT! Both of you!" Fanny yelled as both her grand children quieted down at the fear of her cane.

While William mingled with eligible ladies, Charlotte made herself useful near the corner of the room. She watched the sea of faces move about as music was played. She noticed a familiar Howard Wilmington badgering a girl to dance with him who only managed to turn her nose up at him and stalk off. To her horror, she noticed Howard making her way toward her but in his arms was yet another woman - she breathed. He wasn't going to try his willy nilly ways upon her again, not when there was lady at present.

"Ah, didn't think I'd bump into you Lady Charlotte," he said almost dismissively, gone were his once obsessive antics.

"I didn't even see you here, I'm surprised you managed to pick me out all the way in this corner. Were you looking for something here? A token perhaps?" Charlotte said dryly with a fraudulent smile.

"It's quite a loss Charlotte. I thought we could have made an excellent match but I see that you prefer someone far more ... wild in his ways."

"Lady Charlotte," she corrected strictly.

The woman on Howard's arm glowered as she tugged him off to the ballroom floor. Charlotte was still looking for him as the duo sauntered off. 

A/N: College is starting so soon for me. Thankfully majority of this story is done but uploading it randomly/sporadically is tiring on my end. I know I'll have free time on Thursdays (we'll see) but if it goes as planned, I'll try to update at least once a week, twice if you're lucky ;) Anyways, please comment, vote and etc! I appreciate it so much.