Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

Jonathan mustered up the last of the strength he had and hoisted her in his arms. The rain was getting stronger by the minute and Charlotte seemed to have passed out unconsciously due to her fear. He didn't know she had been afraid of drowning and it was a vulnerability that he took to heart now. He wouldn't do it again, not ever.

The trudge back to their gathering was difficult and nonetheless, many of the carriages had left, the only ones that had remained were his and the Cecils. Fanny looked more than displeased to see that her granddaughter was in such a mess but didn't blame him. William was silent, his jaw clenching as he observed his soaking sister.

Jonathan brought her into his own carriage and told the Cecils that he had an estate just minutes away - they'd follow to ensure that Charlotte would be alright after all. He hadn't given them a chance to speak of indecency or impropriety; the man had a plan of his own. He had her in his lap, one arm wrapped around her head while the other rested near her leg - supporting her weight so she wouldn't roll from his grasp. He could feel her breathing, a bit weak but steady. In her sleeping state, she looked like a princess from a children's novel. The arch of her lips parted perfectly and her long lashes shut made her look heavenly. Jonathan resisted temptation, resisting the urge to kiss her awake as if she was a damsel in distress in need of true loves kiss.

Charlotte awoke to the sound of rain pouring outside, breathing in the smell of cotton. She fluttered her eyes open when she looked at her surroundings. She was in a bed, one that wasn't her own, in a room that wasn't hers either. She was no longer in the same clothes she was wearing before, fear flitting through her mind before her thoughts were interrupted.

"Finally awake girl!" Fanny muttered as she closed the curtains.

"Where am I grandmama?"

"At the Lennox's private cottage, well, one of their many ....  estates."

"Why at the Lennox residence?"

"Because you two idiots managed to wander off somewhere far from the picnic grounds and got yourself soaked!" William barked.

"I didn't g-"

"Do you know how worried I was?" William exclaimed.

And for once, Charlotte bit her lip and was silent as she watched her brother pace back and forth. "I'm sorry."

"Damn right you better be!"

"LANGUAGE WILLIAM," Fanny hollered.

"Knowing you, you probably purposely tried to get lost. On top of that, you were with him alone which makes me presume that you are engaged in something. The picnic goers were all too aware of the outcome of events. Even though I gave you a choice Charlotte, now you have none anymore. You must marry Jonathan!" William's fury exploded like a gust of wind in front of Charlotte.

"I wasn't the one who walked away. It was Ellen who did!" she feebly came up with an excuse but knew better. She could have escaped when Ellen ditched her but she didn't.

"At least Wilmington seems to have given up on you," William sighed.

"It's all his fault!" Charlotte huffed as she narrowed her eyes, thinking of the devil who had caused the mess.

"Tut tut child, don't be so rude. You would have most likely been missing for even longer if it wasn't for Lord Lennox. Not only did he carry you back to the carriage, he made sure to get the doctor as quickly as possible. He himself passed out not much longer after we arrived. Seem's like the man got sick on your account." Fanny said with her nose in the air.