CULTIVATION WITHIN

Is there a melody that warms your heart? A chord progression or a lyrical piece that resolves so tenderly?

In the rich of the sunshine, do not waste the daylight, so that by the gloom-filled dim of night, you may lay contentedly asleep, knowing well that the day had been worthwhile.

If the desires of your heart urge to listen to that sweet tune, grab your tape and listen close. If you thirst to write, to dance, to run on the field, to sing a song, swallow its every ounce until you are quenched.

The moment your thirst is satisfied, it is an indication that you were not truly thirsty at all. Where is your real passion? What will never bring forth boredom? Ask of this to your heart, and find what it may be within.

Regardless of the insanity or impossibility of success, be an enthusiast drowned in the optimisms of your passions. Idealism is a prime contributor in our prosperous humanity. Believe in the supernatural phenomenon! Miracles! Your path is yours to devour and conquer!

When I am cultivating myself, I am able to be truly at peace. Why must I pursue the world when the answer is found within, not in the dread of the universe?

Polish your being! Do not take admiration in ignorance or an uncreative standpoint, and the garden from your vessels will flourish exceedingly. Allow it to burst from your eyes, your ears, your nose, and your mouth. Suffocate in its power, and share it to humanity so they might find joy, just as you will have.

Find out the reason that commands you to write; see whether it has spread its roots into the very depths of your heart; confess to yourself whether you would have to die if you were forbidden to write. This most of all: ask yourself in the most silent hour of your night, must I write?

Rainer Maria Rilke, 1875-1926.