Chapter 3 - Silver Linings

Start from the beginning

To cover her embarrassment, Jade said, "I guess it's a good thing you went up almost a full bra size..."

"Huh?"

"Well, with those mosquito bites you called boobs, that hungry little girl would drain your

dry..."

"Ha-ha, very funny..." Tori stuck her tongue out and added, "You're just jealous..."

"Yeah, right," Jade replied.

"Jade, you know I want to be with you. But..."

"Tori...?" Jade asked when Tori stopped speaking.

The new mother glanced at her friend and misinterpreted Jade's expectant but pensive expression. "I guess, I thought, when you kissed me, you felt the same..." Tori dropped her eyes as her voice lowered. "You just said you loved me to help me with the baby..."

"No Tori, I do love you. I guess I have for a long time but you know what they say about rivers in Egypt..." Tori looked up, her teary brown eyes meeting Jade's bluish-green orbs. "Yes, I have finally realized I love you. And I want to be with you. But I know you need time to heal - psychologically. I'm in no rush."

"Jade, I want you to know it's not just about the sex. I don't feel that way around you. You know, afraid and... Hell, I don't know."

"Scared?"

"Yes! With you, I feel safe and secure. I know you won't hurt me. That you'll be there for me. And now that I know you love me, I feel even better," Tori smiled widely at Jade. It was still a rarity to see that look on the brunette's face but very welcome.

"Tori, I said there's no rush. When we get to that point, I want you to be ready. And to want it. And even more importantly, I want you to remember I'll never hurt you." Then she smirked and raised her eyebrow, "Unless you really want me to..."

Tori laughed and her girl looked up, a dribble of mother's milk on her chin. Tori wiped the little lip then tucked herself back in. She kissed the tiny forehead and nodded to Jade.

Happy to be able to help with the little girl she already considered her and Tori's own, Jade took their daughter and burped her before laying her in the crib next to Tori's bed. She asked, "Tori? I have a question. You don't have to answer."

"I'll tell you anything, if I can."

"That first night... Why did you come to me?"

"I was scared and alone and... I wasn't ready to tell my parents or Trina. Andre, Beck and Robbie..." Tori shuddered as she mentioned the name of one of her rapists. "Well, I couldn't go to one of the guys. I love Cat but...well, you know... I had no one else to turn to. I'm sorry, Jade."

"Don't be, Tori. I'm glad I could be there. I mean, at first, I was irritated as hell to even have to answer the door. And then to find you there..." Jade rolled her eyes dramatically then smiled reassuringly at Tori, "It was an eye-opener for me. I was always kind of a glass is half empty when it came to you. Hell, to anything. I really don't have any idea why when I try to look back. But now, I see everything with you as a glass half-full."

Tori yawned widely, then asked, "Only half?"

Jade chuckled and said, "Don't push it, Vega."

"Okay, West."

The next day, mother and baby could go home. Both were healthy and Tori was eager to get out of the hospital.

Tori's parents filled out the necessary release forms and Jade brought their car around to carry the pair home. She followed in her car.