Chapter 14

It didn't take more than a week to find my place among the group of men. Except for some moderate temper explosions, everything had been pretty mellow.

The group kept me busy for most of the day. By the time I got back to my room I would be exhausted. I hadn't seen Casey or Grayson in weeks. I would see Mason in passing, or he'd be leaving the gym when we all went there as a group.

I kind of missed his relentless teasing. It was weird not training with him every day. But a month into training with the group of guys, I got used to not seeing him around.

A 16 mile run around the pack lands had become yet another routine.

But this time, something was different.

Something was wrong. It was a gut feeling that roused my wolf immediately. I moved to the side of the group and stopped, listening to the environment. Something's wrong. My wolf warned as we stopped completely.

I noticed that the group of guys had stopped and were all looking at me. Then I heard a barely audible gurgle that told me my hunch was right. I took a step closer, then I heard a whimper lower than the gurgle sound.

Someone was in trouble. I ran away from the direction the group had been going. I didn't wait for the guys to catch up. I was smaller and faster so I could get there sooner than if I waited for the guys to catch up.

I ran as fast as I could without running into trees.

I smelled the blood before I saw it. Disturbingly, it made my mouth water and my stomach clench in hunger. Even though I knew that it was a person's blood didn't change the fact. The wolf in me saw the potential for a meal and I was suddenly starving.

My heart dropped when I looked at the man on the ground. He was too pale from bleeding out from his slit throat.  He was staring into the sky, unblinking.

I was too late. I'd seen this so many times before, I wanted nothing more than to be able to help the person before they died, even if it was just being there for them as they died. Dying alone was horrible.

I bend over and rested my hands on my knees. I was so close to hyperventilating.

That was until I saw him slowly blink.

I stared at him for a second and listened closely. There was a faint heartbeat.

I screamed for help as I quickly took off my shirt and rushed over to him. I staunched the bleeding with the shirt. The sweaty shirt wasn't exactly hygienic, but it was better than trying to stop the bleed with just my hand. 

"You're okay now." I whispered. I knew he was probably hallucinating right now. That's what I did when I was dying from blood loss. "Help!" I screamed.

His glazed over eyes looked at mine. The corners of his mouth tipped up in a weak smile.

That gave me some hope that he'd make it, so I smiled back at him.

Everyone said we were fast healers, so he could make it.

Then he stopped smiling. His eyes turned vacant.

I shook my head, he should survive. I could smell the werewolf in him.

The guys finally caught up. They all stopped where I had originally.

"Jesus." One of them muttered before walking away.

"Is he dead?" Frank asked, slowly walking towards me.

I tried feeling for a pulse at his jugular, I felt nothing. There was no thumping of life.

"Yeah." I muttered. "You should call Alpha Grayson out here."