ONE

Chapter One
-

I braided my wavy,brown hair into a side braid and add a white ribbon with it. I look at myself as I smooth down my dark red dress with puffed sleeves and lace.

"Only the finest for my little girl." My father had said when he brought me a few dresses from France. My father travels a lot. I don't really know what he does but it requires him to be gone for long periods of time.

He always brings me gifts every time he returns. Maybe as a apology gift for always being gone. Mother decided that it would be best if we moved. People at my old town started talking about my father and my family. So we moved to Avonlea. It's a quiet community with a little population.

"Elizabeth!" My mother calls from the kitchen. I grab my books and head to the kitchen. My brother was already eating his breakfast. My brother,James, is a year older than me. He looks more like my mother than I do. The perfect child in my opinion.

I sit down in the seat across from him and mother sets a plate in front of me. I munched on the piece of bread as my brother talked to my mother. My mother sears my shaking leg and I immediately stop. She hates the nervous habit of mine where I shake my leg.

"I hope you two have everything ready for school." Mother asks as she starts doing the dishes. James last year had to miss most of school because he had to get a job when dad did not have any clients. So now we are in the same class and he fears that he has forgotten most of the work from where he left off.

"Yes mother" James and I reply in unison. She nods. I gulp down my milk and James nods at me.

"We must go before we are late. Bye mother." James kisses her cheek and I follow him out the door. Me and mother have never been close. She calls me a daddy's girl and it's true. But with father gone all the time I mostly just talk to James. He was quite handsome with our mothers blonde hair and blue eyes. He's tall and built from the work he had to put in last year. I have my fathers brown hair with grey eyes. Nothing extraordinary.

James always tells me that I am the fairest girl in the whole land. Which I always deny even though he insists.

"Are you nervous?" James asks me as we walk towards the school I shrug at him and sigh. I was lying, how could I not ?

"Not really. I mean a little but what's to worry about?" I ask and he nods. I could tell he could see right through my lie but decided not to confront me on it.

"Well I'm nervous. It's been a while since I've been to school and I don't really like the fact that I'm a year older. " I nod in understanding. I see a red head walking down a path and coming our way.She finally notices us and approaches us.

"Are you two new to Avonlea?" She asks as she falls into step with us. Her hair was in two small braids and freckles covered her face. Her dress plain brown but her smile was bright.

"Yes we are." I reply to her and give her a small smile. I step over a late stick and my boots crunch on the fallen leaves.

"I was once new too. I'm Anne, a pleasure to make your acquaintance!" She says cheerfully and my eyebrows raise up slightly.

"Quite big words you use." James says with a grin as he admires the young girl.

"Oh yes. Don't you just love big words? Such powerful and wonderful meanings!" She was like a ray of sunshine and I did enjoy it.

"Well, I'm Elizabeth and this is my brother James." I answer her previous question and her hear snaps up.

"Elizabeth... Such a wonderful name! I wish my name was as wonderful as yours." She sighs but then her smile is back. I thought her name was quite cute.