Twenty Three

Italics are flashbacks, just so you're aware! Let me know what you think!! xoxo

Louis and Harry were standing in the middle of Zayn's living room. The air was thick with tension and cigarette smoke, the raven haired boy and his best friend were taking drag after drag to relieve some of their anxiety. Zayn was scowling and his arms were crossed tightly over his chest. Harry was cowering behind his boyfriend nervously, withering under Zayn's cold stare. Louis was the only one who seemed somewhat calm, body language easy and breathing steady.

"We're going away for a while, Z," Louis said, face even as he looked between his best friend and his boyfriend.

Zayn shrugged. "Got it. I never saw you," he muttered, uninterested.

"And you never saw Harry either?" Louis confirmed, eyebrows raised expectantly. He needed to know that Zayn would help them both, especially since he knew that Zayn didn't exactly like Harry after everything that had happened.

Zayn shook his head, raising his hands in defense. "I'm not getting mixed up in any more rich boy drama shit, mate," he announced.

Louis' face hardened, eyes narrowed on the raven haired boy. "You. Never. Saw. Him. Got it?" he asked, though it wasn't intended to be an open question.

Zayn scoffed, turning his back and moving to take a seat. "Fine, Lou. Whatever," he said. "I'll guard your little pretty boy, just like everyone else does."

Louis ignored him, turning his full attention to Harry. A fond smile automatically formed on his face as blue eyes met green. "Har, do you want to change before we go?" he asked softly, eyebrows raised.

Harry glanced down at his outfit, wiping some dirt off of his black hoodie. "I don't have any other clothes," he pointed out.

Zayn put out his cigarette, a smirk appearing on his face as he eyed Harry. "Don't worry, lots of London boys have left their clothes here," he taunted, gesturing with his eyes towards Louis.

Louis shot him a glare, rage bubbling up in his stomach. He calmed himself with a shaky breath, knowing that Zayn was just lashing out since he was scared. Louis looked back at Harry, advising, "People will be looking for you and they'll be looking for those clothes since it's the last thing you were seen in. Its probably best not to keep those on."

"Yeah, you're probably right," Harry nodded understandingly.

Zayn sighed and pointed towards his bedroom. "Help yourself to whatever, feel free to take some clothes for the road too," he offered, not making eye contact with either boy. "Both of you."

Harry cracked a nervous smile. "Thanks, Zayn. For everything," he said before hurriedly darting off into Zayn's bedroom.

He and Louis exchanged a glance, the kind where Zayn's hard exterior softened for a moment and Louis knew that things were going to be okay between them. "This means a lot, Z. Thanks," Louis said softly, smiling.

Zayn got to his feet and crossed the room, closing the space between Louis and himself to pull the boy into a hug. "Promise me you'll be careful out there?" he mumbled quietly. "Don't let him weigh you down, alright?"

Louis took a deep breath, inhaling Zayn's scent so he'd always remember in case he never made it back around to Lambeth. "I'll be careful, we'll be fine. Promise me you'll stay out of trouble? I don't want you to end up like me, okay?" he asked.