C1.1 - Prologue

The golden strands of hair cascaded down Ezekiel's chainmail like a flowing river, framing a face etched with weariness and determination. His piercing blue eyes, usually reflecting resolve, now betrayed a hint of sorrow as he surveyed the chaotic scene. Bats swarmed the night sky, darting like missiles, while recruits scrambled in a frenzy, desperately shielding themselves from the aerial onslaught.

"So this is how my fortress falls..." A heavy sigh escaped Ezekiel's lips, a lament for promises broken and the weight of responsibility.

"I'm sorry, Dalia. I made a promise to you that I would end this, but I have failed..."

A figure emerged from the chaos, dark hair escaping the confines of a black cylindrical helmet.

"Brother Trey, what shall we do?" Trey's voice carried a mix of concern and urgency.

"I will lose my castle today. I will stay and fight. You must take my children and flee. I cannot lose them too. Take Blue to the Eastern Camp; hopefully, he can train under the influence of Helena. The northern fortress is secure. You must take Azure there and protect her at any cost."

"I must stay and fight by—"

"...YOU WILL NOT!" Ezekiel's interruption echoed with authority.

"But Ezekiel..."

"Brother, you listen to me. You take orders from me. If I tell you to flee, what do you do?"

"Okay, I will take my leave, but please do not sacrifice yourself over this fortress."

"This fortress is the final stand against the corruption. If I fall with it, that is just another casualty of war."

Bright flames flickered on Ezekiel's golden chestplate as he raised his sword, cutting through a bat with swift precision. The limp wings fluttered momentarily before succumbing to the wet earth below.

Ezekiel's arrival had ignited a spark of confidence among the recruits. They emerged from behind the cover of their shields, jabbing the sky with their spears. Moonlight began to pierce through the dark clouds, a glimmer of hope in the chaos.

Then, a distant banging echoed.

"LUMBERJACKS!!! LUMBERJACKS OVER THE MOUNTAIN!!!"

The recruits paused in unison, allowing the bats to exploit the momentary vulnerability.

"Shit," Ezekiel paused, casting a grim gaze at the gate.

"MUSKETEERS, DIVERGE TO THE GATE! DO NOT LET A SINGLE LUMBERJACK REACH THAT BRIDGE!"

A circle of musketeers moved toward the massive wooden doors as the fortress resonated with the yells of thousands of approaching lumberjacks.

The recruits were terrified, and rightfully so. Lumberjacks, once peaceful barbarians, abandoned all morality when power beckoned. The impending threat was evident, but musketeers, with their unmatched precision, formed a formidable defense against the impending mob.

"DANGER!!!" Ezekiel was propelled backward in a cloud of dust and debris. At that moment, he knew the fortress had fallen. The lumberjacks were a diversion, and something formidable had breached the walls.

As the dust settled, Ezekiel cautiously approached the gap in the castle wall. A glint of greyish metal caught his eye before a colossal spiked sphere crashed nearby. Leaping backward, he followed the trajectory to the arm and body of the assailant.

"A giant?" Ezekiel's voice trembled.

"No, Ezekiel... it's me... I'm here for the prisoner."

Frozen in fear, Ezekiel stared at the speaker, realizing that the echoes of that fateful night still reverberated nine years later.