Letter 14

"Would you wanna, I dunno, would you wanna get dinner?" Ashton offered awkwardly as the two sat on the beach in silence. Dinner seemed a bit casual after all that had happened, but casual seemed like a refreshing change of pace.

"I'll take you to my favorite diner," Dakota offered as she hopped to her feet. She stretched out a hand and Ashton took it in his own, letting Dakota pull him to his feet. "Come on," she urged, barely giving him time to scoop up the Frisbee before she tugged him down the beach.

The two walked in silence, but their thoughts were louder than ever. Their hands intertwined so comfortably, as if they had never known separation. Dakota stayed a step in front of Ashton, hurrying him along out of excitement without even realizing it. Ashton enjoyed being a step behind, giving him the opportunity to fully take in Dakota's beauty. He walked after her, allowing her to pull him impatiently while he laughed with dancing eyes and hungry lips.

"Stop laughing and get a move on, Irwin," Dakota commanded after dragging Ashton became tiring.

"Sorry, Miss Fields," Ashton said in as serious a tone as he could conjure.

"What are you laughing about anyway?" Dakota inquired, slowing down so her steps were in time with Ashton's.

"I guess I'm laughing at you," Ashton responded thoughtfully.

"Oh, good," Dakota sighed, making Ashton laugh again.

"I don't know why I'm laughing," Ashton explained, "I'm just happy."

"I'm happy, too," Dakota confirmed, smiling up at Ashton. Her smile was shy, but sure. She was just as happy to have Ashton as he was to have her. As Ashton smiled back, she couldn't help her eyes from wandering to Ashton's lips. And when her eyes were on Ashton's lips, so were her thoughts. Suddenly all she could think of was kissing Ashton. Why had she not kissed him yet? Why had he not kissed her? They were alone on the beach. The sun was setting, allowing pinkish orange light to bleed through the clouds and cover Ashton in an angelic glow. She couldn't resist him.

"What?" Ashton asked, noticing Dakota's stare and interrupting her thoughts.

"What?" she responded distractedly as her eyes moved from Ashton's lips back to his eyes.

"You were staring at me," Ashton informed her, "And you got this weird look on your face." Ashton bit his lip and squinted his eyes, doing his best to mimic Dakota.

"Hmm," Dakota hummed as she observed Ashton's expression.

"Well? What were you thinking?" Ashton asked with interest.

"I dunno," Dakota said with an innocent shrug.

"Tell me," Ashton pleaded. He stopped walking and pulled Dakota back by the hand, forcing her to stop, too. He took her other hand in his and pulled her closer. Looking down into her unblinking green eyes, he whispered, "Tell me."

"I was thinking that I really wanna kiss you," Dakota admitted. A pink heat rose in her cheeks as she spoke, but her eyes remained locked with Ashton's.

"Oh," Ashton giggled as he felt his face redden. He broke eye contact to glance at Dakota's soft pink lips. He wanted to kiss her, too.

"Well are you gonna make me beg?" Dakota asked expectantly.

"I guess not," Ashton joked.

He leaned in, and so did she. For a second they stalled, lips less than a centimeter apart. Ashton's thoughts flew back to their first kiss, when he had let her move that final centimeter so that he knew she wanted to kiss him. This time it was Ashton that moved in, knowing he couldn't last another second without the taste of her strawberry-sweet lips. He kissed her and she kissed him and everything else disappeared.

Dakota noticed at first that Ashton tasted vaguely of blood, and she wondered if he had taken any time to clean himself off after the incident with Chase. Moving past that, she found Ashton's lips comfortingly familiar yet enticingly new. It was then that she knew for sure that she loved Ashton.

[A/N] ehhhh lemme know what you think? I think I'll be wrapping it up in the next few chapters..