Deal with the Devil

Our guests arrived fashionably late, as expected. The party had been set for nine; the first couple arrived at nine thirty. As my new bosses and old bosses turned colleagues gradually showed up, things got more lively.

We played all kinds of games, mostly couples games, to pass the time. They were stupid little activities that meant nothing. What meaningless detail can you remember about her? What thing that you did together do you remember? It was as if they thought that the mere act of spending time with a person was the same thing as loving them.

Laureen served drinks and snacks and was as happy as a clam. Surprisingly, we managed to avoid fighting with each other, something that we did often. She served the dinner she had made and it was delicious. She had been learning to cook in preparation of having a ‘family.’

Everyone ate to their content and we all sat at the table sated. Someone proposed we drink wine on the balcony and ‘look down on it all’ as people in higher class apartments like to do. There was a murmur and everyone agreed. Soon we had coats on and made our way outside.

Laureen brought out a wine bucket and bottles on a serving tray. She set it on the table and poured each of us a glass.

“So then Jack, are you excited to begin your real life?” One of my new bosses, Rodrick, said in half jest. Of course I would be excited to be earning more money, how could I not be? That was all that mattered here.

“Of course.” I faked a clever smile.

He laughed, “A fair response.”

“Now before we all get too inebriated.” He swirled his glass in mock imitation of a drunk, the party-goers chuckled. “Let’s take care of this little formality.”

I felt tenser than I ever had in my life. I could feel the muscles in my body gripping tight against the bones. I could hear the soft creaks as they strained to stay in place.

The others all looked on in eager anticipation; Rodrick owned most of the company and was the one who had offered me the position as trader.

“Jack Downs,” he titled his head and smiled widely, after all, who could ever say no? “Do you accept?”

I swallowed heavily. I looked around at all the faces. Everyone smiled and awaited my ‘yes.’ Except Laureen, who silently glared at me. No one saw but me.

My eyes stopped on Rodrick. He watched me with expectant joy. Every second I wavered I saw his smile start to fade.

I looked down at my wine glass and watched the surface ripple between the walls. I swallowed heavily.

“Jack?” Laureen practically begged.

I looked up and faked surprise.

“Whoops, sorry, I just remembered a part I need for my car.”

Rodrick laughed and motioned at me with his thumb.

“This boy, if he isn’t working, he’s driving. Mind is always on one or the other.” The whole company laughed, Laureen in nervousness.

“So then my boy, what’s it going to be?” Rodrick smiled again.

I looked down in deep thought for a moment. I quickly caught myself and looked back up. I smiled a grand smile, as if I were some kind of champion. “Of course.” I made a look to say only a fool could say no.

“My boy!” Rodrick held his glass up to toast. “Such a trickster.” He shook a finger at me. “You really had me going there.” He scratched his chin and narrowed his gaze. “Sometimes I can’t help but wonder what’s going on in that head of yours.”