The Dome

I awoke to the bright morning sun shining through the flaps of my tent. I stepped outside and was blinded by the brightness. There was not a single cloud in the sky; it was a giant swath of blue with the scorching sun in the middle. The day was hot and dry.

When I exited my tent, most of the village was already awake and clearing the campgrounds. Many people who had already done their duties sat and talked around the fire pit, though no fire burned. I walked to the nearby bathing stream and washed myself. The water’s edge was full of small green and yellow reeds. They parted gently as I entered the stream. As I stood, body half immersed and washing myself, I looked up at the sun, and then at everything around me. I could hear the rustle of a troupe of small birds somewhere in the grasses near me. I could hear the sound of the stream as it ran around me. In the woods I caught the gaze of one of its many great beasts. It had a smaller animal in its mouth, and it raised its head to meet my attention, unsure if I was predator. I smiled at it and submerged myself to finish washing.

When I exited the stream a soft breeze began blowing. It felt cold and hard on my body. Inspired to haste by the chill, I quickly dressed myself and gathered my satchel of sacred artifacts. I returned to the campgrounds to dismantle my tent, as was my duty, and it had already been done. Although this is not uncommon, it is always done by the family of the child. I wondered who had taken my tent down for me.

I considered investigating, but was interrupted by the sounds of glory. I could hear as the crowds whooped and hollered. It was my time. At the farthest edge of one side of the ceremonial camp lies the dome. The camp is in a clearing, so there is a small wooded path that leads to dome’s edge. On a day of passing, this path is filled with all the bright faces of the village. Old, young, man, woman, everyone gathers to watch. The spots closest to the edge are reserved for the family of the child and the elders. I found the edge of the grounds and began walking on the path to the entrance.

These were the first steps on my journey. Even though I had yet to enter the dome, my quest had already begun. I could turn and run, right now, if I wanted. I could leave this place, and these people. I could never look back. I took another few steps forward. But what is it to never know? Isn’t this my journey, my quest? I took another few steps forward. The answers, no, the mysteries in that dome, are there for me. They are my questions to ask, they are my thoughts to think, my things to know. I felt determined. I began walking slowly on the path. In a few moments I saw the first of the villagers, a few people here and there among the trees.

“Come on Sin! We believe in you! Prove us right! Love heals all!” A few elderly women and men offered me their support.

As I walked, quickly the surrounding forest became more people than trees, until I was at dome’s edge and I was completely beset by my loved ones on all sides. I walked until I stood a mere arm’s length away from the dome.

It was a beautiful structure for all of its mystery. Perfectly smooth and white, made of stone. No faults or cracks or any sign of a means of entry, except for what was very clearly a door, which we stood directly in front of.

In front of me stood the head elder, and around us the other elders in a semi-circle against the dome. The head elder spoke.

“And so you make this great journey Sin, of no family. And you shall not forget that you are loved. For as you leave here we make great trouble to be here with you. An entire village skirts its duties to stand next to this great structure with you on this day. We stand here to say farewell, that no matter what happens in the dome you may remember, you are never lost. That no matter how dark your mind may feel, you may remember there is light. That no matter how alone your heart believes it is, you may know that you are loved. For we are yours and you are ours, something none of us can change. Though you go alone, we are together, forever and always.”

I smiled as he said this. I felt a few tears begin to form in my eyes. I was really about to do it. I was about to leave. I felt every emotion stir inside of me and was almost moved to tears, but I was saved by the children.

A few of the children who were fondest of me broke free of their mothers’ grasps and ran up to my side. They pushed through the elders and wrapped their arms around me. One girl, whose namesake was a bird, winter-thrush, clung to my leg and called up to me.

“Don’t go Sin, you can’t go. Don’t leave us.”

It was her tears that calmed my heart.

“Aww, don’t worry, Winter, I’m only going away for a little while.” I patted her head softly as I spoke.

“That’s what they all say!” She screamed between tears. “They all say they’ll make it back, but not everyone does. What about Archer, did he make it back? What about quickfoot? What about—“

Her words had hit their mark. Quickfoot was one of my best friends. He had left for his journey a year prior. Quickfoot had still never returned. Everyone had lost hope. I still said the child’s prayer for him every night.

I bent down to her and wrapped her in my arms. “Now shh. It’s not going to be like that. I am strong and smart and skilled. I have many gifts. I am the fastest sturdiest rider in the village. I am-“

“But but, Quickfoot was the fastest and it didn’t help him any, quickfoot—“ she bawled as she spoke. This girl really didn’t want to see me go, and she was making me not want to leave.

“I am going to return. I don’t know what is going to happen inside there, but I know I’m going to make it back.” I spoke solemnly. My words echoed like sound through an old tree. I felt a calmness wash through me and her, and realized that the entire village was watching with rapt attention.

“You, you promise?” She pulled back from me to wipe her tears away.

I stood up and looked down at her. “Nothing is promised; it is or it isn’t. I will return.” I felt a foreign spirit guide my words. “If you want to help me, every night you say the child’s prayer for me and I will take energy from your spirit. If you are ever worried about me, just say that prayer and know that I am safer at that moment because of you and your love for me.”

She smiled at my certainty and knowingness. I tussled her hair and she broke the circle of elders again to run back to her mother. The others who had come with her had watched in silence and wonder, and hurriedly escaped when the scene ended.

I turned to look at the elder and saw he was smiling a great smile with tears brimming in his eyes. I looked about the path to see the faces of the village. Many were teary, some openly wept. All looked on in awe and wonder.

The head elder patted my shoulders and smiled. “You will return Sin, I know it.”

I beamed back at him. I felt a warmth in me that was new. I turned to face the great door. It was startlingly simple. It looked just like the rest of the structure, white and smooth. Although it was flat instead of curved, and recessed. It stood at least six feet within the wall of the thing. And there, squarely on its left side, there was a handle. The handle really was the most baffling part. The way it jutted to one side with a pivoting point on the other, it was clearly meant to be turned. It was clearly made for the hands of men. It was metal too, our metal. I knew for sure that men must have made this thing. But how?

As I walked into the recession in the structure and approached the door I could feel the village filling in behind me as people moved to get clearer views. I turned the handle but did not open the door. Still holding it I turned to face everyone. Their eyes were warm with hope. I bellowed out a great cry.

“THOUGH I GO ALONE!”

“WE ARE TOGETHER!! FOREVER AND ALWAYS!!!” It echoed back as a great cheer.