Chapter 13

AN: I think the next chapter might be the last whoa

Joseph Pulitzer was in his office, reviewing the latest edition of The World before it was printed, when his daughter came storming in with a fiery look in her eyes that he hadn't seen directed at him in a long time.

"I need to speak with you."

"I'm afraid I'm incredibly busy at the moment, darling, you can have a seat and I'll talk to you as soon as I'm finished." He was trying to blow off the seriousness of the situation, but Katherine wasn't allowing it. She remained standing and snatched the paper out of his hands.

"Katherine!" Pulitzer quickly shot to his feet, but she didn't back down, glaring it him.

"I need to speak with you. Now."

"Please give me the paper, Katherine, it's the only copy, and if something happens to it, it will be next to impossible for my employees to be able to get the paper out on time."

"Hmm." Katherine inspected the paper with a small smirk on her face. She was back in her element, manipulating her father, and she planned to enjoy it. "I guess you'd better let me talk now, then."

"Very well." Pulitzer sighed. "What is it you need to talk about?"

"You know very well what I need to talk about."

"Katherine - "

"It needs to stop!"

"It can't stop! I can't allow you to raise an illegitimate child with a boy you are not married to. Not only is it an embarrassment to the family, or an embarrassment to me, you will be embarrassing yourself! Why can't you understand that?"

"First of all, my daughter is not illegitimate, and if you call her that one more time, I can promise you that the consequences will not be pleasant. Second of all, Anna and Jack are not embarrassments to anyone, least of all me, so why can't you just let it go?"

"Of course I am not insinuating that Mr. Kelly nor the child are embarrassments..." Katherine scoffed. "...I am simply saying that the fact that you had a child with a person of a lower class to whom you are not married is highly inappropriate!"

"Oh, come on! You're not seriously still hung up on Jack's social status are you? Because that doesn't matter!"

"That is not the point, the point - "

"The point is that those Delancey brothers tried to murder Jack, and now he's laid up on a couch with serious injuries, all because we had an amazing daughter under circumstances that you don't approve of!"

"What are you talking about?" Pulitzer frowned. "The Delancey brothers did what?"

"Technically it was just Oscar, but I'm certain Morris would have done the same thing. That's another thing that needs to stop, those brothers are constantly following us around, watching our every move, if you want to talk about things being highly inappropriate, that's what we should be talking about!" 

"Slow down, Katherine. What happened to Mr. Kelly?"

"You know what happened, you're the one who ordered Oscar to do it. He beat Jack senseless until he fell unconscious. The doctor's pretty sure he used a knife, too."

Pulitzer's face began to grow red with anger. "I did not tell him to do that."

"You... you didn't?" 

"I most certainly did not! Yes, I asked them to follow you around, and of course, I don't see anything wrong with a little physical pain, but I did not condone any type of severe violence."

"I assumed you did..."

"Absolutely not! I will have to speak with them."

"Alright..." Katherine dropped the paper and desk and Pulitzer quickly grabbed to to ensure that it didn't not leave his possession again. "Well, that's all well and good, but what do you plan to do about the main problem?"

"I just solved it, I'll speak to Oscar and Morris -"

"That is not the main problem! What are you going to do about letting me see Jack and my daughter?"

Pulitzer sighed irritably. "I'll think it over, and come to a decision by tomorrow. Come see me tomorrow and I'll let you know."

"Fine. But in the mean time, I'm going to see Jack." She told him definitively before storming out of the room, not giving him a chance to respond.