We'll Be Riding Out This Storm

Steve led the way to the airport, and they flew back to his headquarters. After the initial giddiness, the fact that it was nearly dawn and they hadn't gotten a lot of sleep in several days started to wear on them, so they didn't talk very much. He drove, and they spent most of the ride in companionable silence. Nat took the front seat and soon was napping. At least, it seemed like she was. He expected she could fake it convincingly when she had reason to.

"Do you guys have something you want to share?" Steve murmured mildly, glancing significantly in Nat's direction after catching Bucky's eye in the rearview mirror.

"I like her," Bucky replied placidly, but he was visibly nervous.

"She is pretty likeable."

Bucky rolled his eyes at that. "I... don't want to go into it without talking to her first," he said after a pause.

That made sense. "Alright. I'm glad you're getting along, at any rate." Bucky made a noise that sounded suspiciously like 'me too' but Steve couldn't be sure. Before he could ask him about it, he changed the subject away from himself, as usual.

"How about you and Sharon? You going to make that work?"

A heavy sigh escaped him and he glanced back at his friend as he pulled into the carport. "I'm going to try."

"She's good for you. Don't screw it up."

Steve snorted. "Yes, sir," he said with a mock salute.

Sam was waiting to greet them and headed over as soon as the car was stopped. "Did you lose Sharon?" he wanted to know, fixing Bucky with an accusatory glare. Bucky laughed a little raggedly in response.

"She had some things to take care of. Said she'd be here for dinner," Steve replied, heading past him. "Oh, and Sam? I think you missed the boat on our mutual friend."

He paused by the door to watch Bucky wake Nat, and shook his head slightly as she leaned him as they started toward him. Sam was watching, too, and Steve couldn't remember him ever looking so surprised.

"Huh," was all that Sam could say, before following them and sharing a look with Steve as they made their way to the briefing room.

Things had not exactly piled up in his absence, but there was enough to keep him occupied while he waited for Sharon. He went to shower and get cleaned up after putting out most of the fires. If dinner was all that he had before she might go on her way, he'd better plan something to get her alone afterward. He went to the common room to look for inspiration, searching through their somewhat limited forms of entertainment.

"Hey," a familiar voice interrupted him before he'd found anything.

He smiled at Sharon, who had stopped in the doorway to the kitchen. "Hey. Did you take care of the bad guys?"

"It's not exactly tied in a bow, but it's wrapped up."

Nodding, he cast about for something else to say, besides what he wanted. He didn't want to pressure her, but he needed to know what she was planning to do next. And how he fit into that. But it could wait until dinner was over, at least. "Are you ready for our double date?"

The idea surprised her and she grinned. "What about Sam?"

"I don't think he'll want to be stuck in a room with Bucky making eyes at Nat."

"I think they'll be making eyes at each other. It's enough to make you sick," she said very seriously as she walked closer to him.

"Absolutely disgusting," he agreed and pulled her into his arms. "Good thing we aren't like that at all."