Bound to the Stars

Start from the beginning

"Here we go," Frigga began to bustle about, her peach-pink, dusk blue and white-lined dress, comfortably cinched at the waist with a glimmering gold belt rustled as she moved toward the table and picked up a few pieces of Kol'la's best light armour. "They have everything prepared – just as I hoped. Come. Let us get you into this. There is little time. The All – your Father – your Father will begin the speech soon."

Without further ado, hands fumbling, fingers trembling, Kol'la took off his upper tunic, replaced it with a new green one and then placed on top of it the small, light-weight, black breastplate he preferred to use. His mother tugged at the interweaving of the green tunic and his under-coat, ensuring that it set off his waist properly, meeting as it should in the middle. His rather worn black coat went on top and then Frigga began to help him with the gauntlets, nudging his fumbling fingers out of the way to do the clasps for him.

"I can do it on my own," Kol'la grumbled quietly. "I am no child."

"That is true," Frigga rose then to adjust her new son's collar, "but you are my son..."

She paused and then caught his chin, turning his gaze to meet hers.

"Is this – do you –" Frigga sighed at the crinkle in his dark eyebrows. "Are we... is this... is this what you really want, Kol'la, dear? This is a big change – and thrust upon you so suddenly. For us, we looked toward this day for quite some time, but for you..."

"And Thor," Kol'la said quickly. "For the both of us."

"Yes, it will be – it will be quite hard, I should think... and I do not wish you to be forced into this if there are any doubts on your part-"

"There are no doubts."

"You are not smiling, my son."

"I – I – ah – Perhaps," Kol'la admitted reluctantly, "I do not know what to think... and smiling is not my strong suite..."

"Now, that," Frigga replied tartly, combing his rebellious hair back with her fingers, straightening it as best as she could, knowing how he hated its wavy nature. "Now that is a lie, dear. I know there is a smile in you... somewhere..."

Kol'la looked down and nodded and then glanced upward quickly and then away, trying to hide the tears which glimmered there.

"I – I am afraid," he finally said.

Frigga said nothing. She did what she always did best – waited in patient silence, taking his hand in hers again and squeezing it encouragingly.

"I am afraid," Kol'la finally whispered, "that this is but a dream..."

"Then it is a good dream," Frigga replied, soothingly.

"Yes, yes, it is, and one I would not have end... and I fear that I will end it with some ill-managed thing-"

"Kol'la, Kol'la, dear heart," she said serenely, drawing him in, trying to press her warmth and her love into his hard, stiff figure. Frigga eased back, still keeping him in her arms. "We are family now. This means that, well, disappointment will happen – but family hold onto each other through the good and the bad. It is a commitment that can never be broken. When it grows as it should, this love, this bond of family, is stronger than the roots of an oak tree – as strong as Yggdrasil itself. A kind of love not easily swayed by circumstance or appearance. Do you understand?"

"No," was the whispered reply. A pause... and then, hesitantly, he asked, "Can you teach me then?"

"Of course," Frigga replied, heart clenching at the sight of his still-wet eyes and unending uncertainty. "We shall learn – together."