21. Escape Across the Ice

The wind moaned over the roof tops. Heloise lied awake in bed listening to its haunting cries. She rolled over and looked at the empty bed next to her. She couldn't believe that Astrid was gone. There was a search for her, but nothing turned up. It was like she had just vanished. Heloise knew better, however. People didn't just disappear, and her mind kept telling her that something terrible had happened.

/

One morning she caught a sleigh into Newport. Doctor Longmire was in his office building when she entered and thankfully he didn't have a patient.

"Good morning, Heloise, I hope you are feeling well today."

"Yes, sir." Heloise said. She ignored the way he stared at her in curiosity and took a seat by the window. Tucking her hands under her legs she looked up at the doctor. "Sir, you told Mrs. Murphy that two men came through Newport the day Astrid went missing."

"Right."

"One of them is involved in the search...do you know what became of the other."

Doctor Longmire leaned against his desk. "Can't say I do. They were only passing through. They came from the south you know. Cold weather like this doesn't agree with everyone."

Heloise nodded. "Do you remember what he looked like?"

"He was rather young, slim, dark hair, blue eyes...a lawman. Introduced himself as Benedict.

Heloise felt a lump rise in her throat. "A lawman?"

Doctor Longmire nodded.

"Did he say anything peculiar?"

"No, but your sister did."

This set Heloise on edge. "What did she say?

"Well it wasn't to me, it was to my wife. She said...I know him...I know him." Doctor Longmire shrugged. "She had a terrible fever. I pray that wherever she is now, that she is well."

Heloise jumped up from the seat. "I'm not too sure." They were being hunted. Why were they being hunted? "Astrid." She said to herself. "Papa...the house." Her mind went back: "I remember the last time we met, Mr. Fairchild. I was new to the area but you were in trouble then too." "I must go!" Heloise curtsied then hurried out the door.

Doctor Longmire hurried after her and stopped her in the street. "What is the matter, are you in danger? Maybe I could help."

"No!" She hadn't meant to sound at all curt. "Please, Doctor...it's for the best." She didn't give him a chance. She spun away quickly and ran through the snow to Mrs. Murphy's brother-in-law who was waiting by his sleigh.

"I'm all finished. Are you ready to go?"

Heloise climbed into the sleigh and was quickly seated.

"I'll take that as a yes."

The ride back seemed to take longer than usual. Heloise exhaled a white cloud of breath and looked up into the sky. "Oh, Astrid, Papa, Mama. God, please protect them. Protect all of us."

/

Mrs. Murphy's brother-in-law- let her off at the path leading up to the school. Heloise waved bye then ran up the freshly shoveled driveway that had been covered in snow when she left that morning. She ran into the yard and was nearly blindsided by a flash of white. Stumbling back she landed on her backside and instinctively held up her hands to stop the gnashing teeth.

When no pain ever came she lowered her hands. Not far from where she lie the two dogs tugged on their chains, trying to reach her. She rolled over and got to her feet taking several steps back. She then hurried into the school slamming the door behind her.