3. Sundays

Heloise had to retie her sash by the time she reached the pew. Old Town was prettiest on Sundays. Watching all the residents walk to and from service in their fine clothes was like watching a flowering tree shedding petals in the spring. It was also the only day in the week when the whole family was together. Grandpa Jeremiah, Ezra and Grace Fairchild and their seven daughters: Miriam, Selene, Taitiann, Astrid, Heloise, Alifair and Hannah.

After service the children raced to their various homes, the girls holding on their lovely hats and the boys taking the challenge too seriously. Heloise lingered with her parents. Sunday was the only day she could spend this much time with them.

"The Dewitt children are impossible," Mrs. Fairchild said. "As soon as I fold the linens they come and tear apart what I've just done. It's the same with the beds."

"I wish you would quit that job," Miriam said. "I don't like you being treated that way." She walked on her father's right arm while her mother walked on the left.

"Don't talk like that," Mrs. Fairchild said. "I can't afford to quit."

"I could get another job," Taitiann offered from her other side.

"And miss school?" her father said. "I don't think so, not when you're so close to being finished."

"But Drusilla Dupree says there's an opening at the stable in Angel Veil."

"You're to do nothing but stay in school," Miriam told her. "Get yourself a good education and become a nurse or a something."

"You'll be the first out of Old Town," Mr. Fairchild said. "What do you think Selene, how does Dr. Fairchild sound? Selene?"

Selene jumped when her father called her again. "I'm sorry, Daddy what was it you were asking?"

Ezra Fairchild laughed. "Now this one, Grace," he said to his wife. "She has always had her head in the clouds."

"If only they paid people to be dreamers," Miriam said. "I warned you about reading so many books."

"It's my job," Selene said. "There was no place for a teacher, you know that Miriam."

Heloise slowed her pace and waited for her Grandfather. Jeremiah Fairchild was old but respected in town where he spent a lot of time lost in his wonderings. Old though he was he was very sharp and could pick up on things.

"Grandpa?" Heloise began. "Can being in love with someone ever be a bad thing?"

Jeremiah raised on brow. "Don't tell me my little Heloise done caught sight of boys."

Heloise grinned. "No, sir," she said. "It isn't me."

"Well," Jeremiah said. "Love can make a person do crazy things and so can hate." He adjusted his grip on his Bible. "In fact fair child, there are few other emotions that can charge the human spirit to action."

Heloise smiled at her grandfather and linked arms with him.

/

"You girls be back before supper!" Mrs. Fairchild called after her daughters as Heloise and Hannah raced out the door. Alifair had stayed behind to help with the cooking but Heloise thought she had chosen to stay because she didn't want to be around the St. Clouds.

"I'm losing my boot!" Hannah complained and Heloise had to stop to wait for her. After fixing her laces Hannah jumped up from the ground with a grin ignoring the grass stain she had gotten on her calico dress. "If Alifair were here she'd nag me for always complaining."