Chapter Thirty-Three

Start from the beginning

It’s a faded blue colour with light blue shutters. Of course, Emery picked the colours. It has a small porch that matches, only rising a few feet off the ground. It’s one story, with only a few rooms, but it’s enough. I’ve never wanted a large house anyways.

“Why don’t we look inside?” My mom suggests, nodding towards the house. She had told me earlier that they had moved some of my furniture into there, with the exception of leaving my bed in my old room because it would be a hassle to move. “Your father and I have a bit of a surprise for you.”

Emery and I slowly walk towards the small cottage, hand in hand. My legs feel shaky, but it’s more from excitement rather than my nerves. Once we’re up the steps, Emery reaches forward and wraps his hand around the doorknob. We both take a deep breath and the door creeks open, revealing a living room.

“Oh my gosh,” I whisper, standing just inside the door. I’m in the living room that contains a few old couches and chairs, tables and toys. To my right is the kitchen, made up of only a fridge, stove, counters and small, wooden kitchen table. I don’t know anything about cooking, but I’m sure I’ll figure out a way to learn.

“Where did you get all this?” Emery asks, turning to my parents who squeeze their way past us. I’ve never seen Emery look so shocked; so happy before other than when Haven was born.

“I have a few friends,” my dad laughs, not specifying who. He gestures for us to move forward, into one of the three doors attached to the living room. My dad and I decided on a simple, square house design, seeing as we didn’t have much room and didn’t want anything fancy. One of the doors leads to a small bathroom, and the others to the bedrooms.

We tour the rooms, neither of us knowing what to say. Never in a million years would I think that I’d be standing in my own house with a boy and a baby at the age of seventeen. Never would I have thought that my parents would help us out and be this forgiving. Never would I think that I’d be this hopelessly in love with some random stranger who showed up in my barn one night, threatening to kill me.

“I can’t believe this,” Emery says, running his hands through his hair that’s starting to grow out. We’re back in the living room, standing facing my parents to say thank you. “I really don’t know how to thank you for all this. For letting me into your home after what happened, for taking care of me, for everything you’ve done for River and the baby. You don’t know how much it means to me.”

“I have an idea,” my dad replies, wrapping his arm around Emery’s shoulder. In all fairness, I do think my dad understands how thankful Emery is. After all, he was in the same position one time too. My mother hands me Haven and I hold her in my arms, gently tracing my fingers alone the side of her face.

“You’re part of the family,” my mom smiles, wrapping Emery in a tight hug. “Believe it or not, I’m really glad.”

Later That Night:

I groan, shoving my face deeper into the new pillow in Emery and my new room. Haven’s crying in the other room, and I’m exhausted.

“I’ll get her,” Emery whispers, gently kissing the side of my face before getting up out of the bed. In my half asleep state, I smile. Most guys wouldn’t be so helpful, but I think Emery’s acting this way for a really good reason. He never had a great life, and after all my family has done to make it better, he’s giving back to us by being a great dad. I think he wants to give Haven the best life she can possibly have to make up for his.

Haven stops crying in her room and I sigh a breath of relief. Moments later, I hear quiet talking but can’t make out what the words are. Curious, I slowly rise to my feet, careful to not make a sound. Walking towards the bedroom door, I listen.

“You’re the cutest baby in the whole world,” Emery murmurs, and I do my best not to laugh at how adorable he sounds. “You know your mom and I love you very, very much. You’re going to have such a great childhood.”

I creep closer down the hall, seeing the small lamp lighting up Haven’s room. Emery’s standing with his back to me, gently rocking Haven in his arms as he gives her a bottle.

“You’re going to be able to do anything you dream of, I just know it.” He takes her bottle out of her mouth as I lean quietly against the doorframe. He sets it on a coffee table and continues rocking Haven. “I never thought that I’d be able to achieve my dreams; especially after everything that happened. But as bad as things look sometimes, there’s always a light at the end of the tunnel. I never believed there was,” Emery murmurs. “But then I met your mom.”

“And I’m so glad I met you,” I whisper, careful not to scare him. Regardless, Emery almost jumps as he spins around. His eyes are wide, but I think it’s more in embarrassment rather than being scared.

“How much of that did you hear?” His face is priceless, but when he sees me grin at it, he quickly looks down to Haven who’s sleeping. Trying to hide the fact that he’s embarrassed, he keeps his eyes focused on her.

“It started at how Haven’s the cutest baby in the whole world,” I smirk. He quickly turns around and gently kisses Haven’s head before placing her in her crib. He turns around and avoids my eyes as he stretches his arms. I can’t help but laugh at how silly he’s being. “I can’t help but wonder,” I whisper, stepping towards him. I grab his arms with my hands and finally meet his gaze. “How the arrogant, jerk who threatened to kill me, Emery Hastings, turned into the one who’s talking baby talk to a baby.”

He drops my hand and scratches the back of his neck, trying to seem busy. “Well, I think that might be your fault, River.”

“Oh?” I ask with raised eyebrows. “Why is it my fault that you changed?”

Emery smiles and pulls me into a tight hug. He places his lips on my forehead and thinks for a silent minute before responding. “Because you taught me what love is.”

Author's Note:

Two more chapters left! <3

Thought that picture looked cute -->