Chapter Thirteen

“Want to come play Manhunt?” Emery asks, leaning down to meet my gaze as I slump on the living room couch. The first half of the party was great with Emery including me in his old life and telling me things about his past. However ever since Alana took him up to my room, he’s been distant yet again.

It has grown dark, Daniel has gone home and so have Mary’s parents. However Mary sits next to me, not looking very impressed with Emery. I don’t deny that my face mirrors hers, or even looks angrier.

“What’s Manhunt?” Mary asks, not even a hint of curiosity in her voice.

“It’s like hide and go seek and tag combined. If you guys come, we can explain it,” Emery shrugs, brushing my hair behind my ear. I swat his hand away and he gives me a confused expression.

“I can’t,” I mutter, patting my stomach. “Running isn’t exactly something I can do right now.” As if to piss me off, Emery looks to Mary to see if she’s coming. Luckily, she shakes her head no.

“I’m going to stay with River. After all, she’s my best friend and I would never leave her by herself.” I shoot Mary a look, knowing what she’s getting at. However somehow, Emery is completely oblivious. He shrugs, says a quick goodbye and leans down to kiss my forehead. I quickly turn my head and he misses, getting a well-deserved mouthful of hair. He gives me another confused look and opens his mouth as if to ask what’s going on, when someone yells for him outside. The three of us turn to the window and we can see Alana jumping around and waving her arms.

“I can’t believe him,” Mary snaps, once Emery has left to head outside. “He’s being such a jerk.”

I roll my eyes and fidget with my hands in my lap, trying to distract myself from wander thoughts of what happened in my bedroom. “Trust me, that isn’t news to me.”

“Awe, River,” Mary murmurs, stroking my hair in attempt to comfort me. “I can’t imagine how you feel right now. But when it really comes down to it, he probably just wants to spend time with his friends. He hasn’t seen them in three years. Besides, you’re the one who invited them.”

I quickly narrow my eyes at Mary and then relax. She does have a point. Sighing, I sink into the couch and stare up at the ceiling. “You have a point. However whatever happened with Alana was uncalled for.”

Mary’s eyes grow wide as she sits up, turning to me. She gently smacks my arm, waiting for me to explain. “What happened with Alana?”

I throw my hands in the air, frustrated. “Well, I don’t exactly know. But ever since she took Emery up to my room he’s been distant.”

I watch as Mary’s eyes flicker with excitement. Before I can question why her reaction is extremely hurtful, she explains. “Then let’s go make sure Alana isn’t stealing him away from you. Let’s spy.”

I roll my eyes before giving Mary a look. “Seriously, did you just watch a spy movie or James Bond or something? Because you’re really into the whole ‘secretive’ thing lately,” I mutter, using my fingers as air quotations.

“Yeah, but that’s beside the point.” Mary jumps to her feet and grabs my hands, gently yanking me up to my own. “Let’s go.”

I have no time to object as she pulls me towards the door and forces me to put on a pair of shoes. We both push the curtains aside and look out the window, trying to see where everyone is however they’re probably hiding.

I flick off the outside light as Mary and I inch towards the back door. Even though right now there’s no need to be quiet, Mary insists on using her fingers while mouthing a count down. By the time she hits two, I’ve already opened the door and quietly jumped into the night.