Chapter One

July 25, 1978

Almost a week later of deciding whether to go visit him, I thought I should just go for it. It sounds unfamiliar not to because we are such good friends. But when you see someone as more than just a friend, you feel a nervous vibe well up in the pit of your stomach every time you even take the quickest of glances. It could only determine one thing: love.

I know he doesn't feel the same about me. We've known each other too long. It would destroy something we once had, mostly make it awkward. I'll just never confess my feelings towards him anytime soon.

It's a fresh and breezy summer Tuesday in Lafayette. The perfect day to drop by, since I don't have music lessons, track or anything to really complicate my schedule. My brothers are most likely going to be out with their friends or working meanwhile my father will be at work, and Mother will be staying home either baking or cleaning (she's the most cliché housewife on the planet).

I chow down on my oatmeal and head for the door. It's about ten in the morning. I'm sure William would be awake or home. I'm hoping, at least.

"And where do you think you're going without telling me, young lady?" Mother snares from the living room, setting down her Readers Digest.

"Just with Heather and Christie," I reply sweetly. She catches on when I try to be nice to her. Sad, huh?

"You seem awfully cheery. It's not like you to not be so snippy when you answer questions like that."

I roll my eyes and make sure she sees it. "Mother, I'm sixteen years old! I should be allowed to do whatever I want to. Soon, I want to apply for my driver's license and you can't stop me. Why is it that there's always brashness around me and not the boys? Why are they so special, Mother? Tell me."

She becomes quiet, but looks me dead in the eyes. "Because, Jamie. Ever since you were a child you've been disrespectful. Not having a care in the world about what you're given. A house, food, a family. You're brothers are constantly being dears and helping as much as they can. They have jobs, and you just like to have fun with your friends. I'm sure you love to go to parties and get wild while we are all sleeping!"

My gears were already grinding, but this makes me just snap. "Are you kidding me? I know Bob and Randall are hardworking guys, but seriously, Eddie? He sleeps around with every girl he meets! He doesn't have a job, and you treat him like he's a prince around here. You don't have an ounce of love for Richie either. He's the youngest one, and he's so quiet and scared that he can only run away all the time. Father has smacked the living daylights out of him that I'm not surprised he would ever return back here. If I wasn't strong enough either, I would have run too."

All that came straight from the heart. No holding back. I don't care about how she thinks of this. She can send me to my room, but that won't keep me from getting away like a quick escape car.

Mother's lip does an obvious quiver and she looks completely shaken. "You... you are evil," she whispers. I've almost never heard her whisper before, unless it's with her rumour-infused, dramatic tea parties with her knitting club friends.

"For saying what I truly believe in? I think Father is gone and working too often, and you're just lonely and angry with no one to talk to, so you decide to make the girl and the scared youngest boy of your kids sound like demons from hell? I don't get it."

"Jamie, I swear to God that I will tell your father what happened today if you don't stop this behaviour!" She's at her wits end and yelling now.