SEVEN

NINETEEN-SEVENTY-EIGHT
she fell so naturally into my arms
like a flower to the sun

AS THE clock struck eleven-forty-five, Callie Carter unveiled a frustrated groan that could almost be described as comical

AS THE clock struck eleven-forty-five, Callie Carter unveiled a frustrated groan that could almost be described as comical. She had, alongside her boyfriend Sirius Black, been awaiting midnight, where Christmas Eve would meet Christmas Day, their favourite day of the year. In fact, they'd been buzzing with excitement all week in the run-up, and being so close was an almost painful torture.

It was their first year out of Hogwarts, barely of age but going it on their own. They'd invested in a flat just off of Diagon Alley, and although it was only a one-bedroom and rather cramped should they have guests, they'd deemed it perfect. After a lot of effort, they'd even eventually managed to cram their minuscule Christmas tree up the tenement stairs, just fitting it under their barely six-and-a-half foot ceiling. It might have been little, but it was home.

Since being on their own, Christmas had become even more exciting. The chance to create their own traditions, their own plans and rules was exhilarating for them both, and they'd booked the final days before the holiday off of work to spend together. Christmas Eve had resulted in much festivities, as the duo spent their day wrapped in plaid pyjamas and fuzzy blankets, watching Callie's favourite holidays films from her childhood.

Now, however, with a mere fifteen or so minutes to go, they sat snuggled in each other's arms, a cosy knitted blanket draped over their laps as they cuddled on the couch. The fire crackled before them, almost a cliche as their night began to mirror that of a romanticised movie. Neither minded. They didn't care how cheesy it was — to them it felt special, and it was quintessentially them.

"Fifteen minutes, love. Don't be so impatient," Sirius said with a chuckle, pressing a loving kiss to her temple as he absentmindedly rubbed her arm with his palm.

"You know I'm impatient, Sirius, how's that supposed to help?" she whined, burying her face into his shoulder as she tried to get comfy in his lap.

Sirius laughed at her impatience, reminiscent of a small child not getting its way, but he still couldn't fault her for it in the slightest. He knew just how excitable she got at Christmastime, and every year as midnight approached, this was how she responded.

They sat in almost silence for the remainder of the wait, relaxing in each other's comfortable company. Being together felt like heaven on Earth, an inexplicable feeling of flawless harmony and joviality they shared together. Callie almost fell asleep due to how tranquil and secure she felt in that very moment, wrapped tightly in the arms of the man she loved the most. However, just as midnight was about to hit, she sprang to life again. She watched the hands of the clock with wide eyes, counting down underneath her breath as the seconds ticked by.

"Five, four, three, two, one..." she trailed off, speaking so softly she was barely audible. Sirius, of course, listened closely to her, in awe of her childlike joy.

"Merry Christmas, Sirius," she mumbled, twisting in his lap to face him as she pressed her forehead to his, relishing their closeness.

"Merry Christmas, Callie. I love you," he responded before connecting their lips in a soft, sweet kiss that lasted only a few moments before she retracted to share his sentiment.

"I love you too," she sighed happily, wrapping her arms around his neck absentmindedly. "I can't believe this is our first Christmas by ourselves. Our new lives start here."

"They do, my love. That reminds me. I have something to give you."

He smiled, lifting her gently from his lap and into the space beside him on the sofa so he could stand. He moved to their tree, scouting underneath it for a certain present he'd stored there earlier.

"What do you mean? We always do presents in the morning," she questioned, her confusion ebbing its way into her voice as she watched him patiently from the burgundy fabric couch.

"It's just a little something," he insisted, smiling as he passed it to her to unwrap. He stood before her, tapping his foot impatiently as he waited.

Despite tradition, she couldn't resist. Immediately, she shifted her attention to the small package, nimble fingers peeling back the tape to remove the paper from what seemed to be a small box. Eyebrows furrowed, she opened it gingerly to reveal a simple — but still impressive — sparkling ring. Her jaw fell slack with shock, and she glanced across in disbelief to where Sirius was now crouched on one knee, admiring her with a sheepish smile.

"I love you, Callie. I didn't think it was possible to love someone this much, honestly. Merlin, you make my heart burst, y'know? I become more infatuated with you everyday, and I just know I need to do this now. Will you marry me, Carter?"

Callie found herself speechless as surprise invaded and tears dribbled down her pink-tinted cheeks. Settling into auto-pilot, she nodded furiously, unable to stop as she dragged him into her arms, engulfing him in the tightest hug she could muster. He chuckle softly into her shoulder she searched desperately for the words to say.

"God, yes. Yes, oh my God, Sirius, yes!" she stuttered, her words blending together in a sea of similarity.

Sirius released a sigh of relief, hands shaking as he refused to let her go from his close embrace. He swayed softly, cradling her within his grasp as he recovered from the adrenaline rush, his heart still hammering a hundred miles an hour inside of his chest.

"Thank God. I don't know what I would've done if you rejected me on Christmas," he joked, and she let out a choked laugh, her tears still dribbling past her eyes and making her mascara run.

"Don't cry, love. It's a good thing. You and me at the altar, together with all our friends," he insisted, smiling as he dabbed at her cheeks to wipe away the trickling trail of her tears.

"I know. I know, I'm so excited. I love you, Sirius. I reckon this is the best day of my life," she reassured him, a pure, euphoric grin overtaking her features as the thought of marrying her best friend settled in her mind.

"Mine too," Sirius said softly, brushing his thumb gently across her cheek. "We should get some sleep though, Cal. Tomorrow's a big day, after all — our first Christmas together."

Still buzzing from the surprise, she nodded with no objections at his request. Together, they stumbled through to their bedroom, high on elation as they slipped underneath the covers of their double bed. That night, Callie slept soundly, wrapped tightly in Sirius' arms and dreaming of their lives together — oh, how perfect she knew it would be.