A Five Letter Word

Beginne am Anfang

Draco looked through his things to make sure nothing was missing, "Everything's here, I pretty sure some git did this for fun."

Harry shook his head in disbelief, "I'm gonna kick the arse of whoever did this."

Draco shook his head, "Don't bother, it's not worth the attention."

"Did you guys really not expect something like this?" Hermione asked bluntly.

"I did, but I thought it would be more of a social stigma, not a personal vendetta." Harry admitted.

Draco shrugged, "I just thought people knew better than to mess with the son of a Death Eater."

"Draco!" Hermione punched him in the arm and rolled her eyes, "Let's just go."

They left the Sytherin dorms and went to the Great Hall for lunch, "You should put a charm on your room that hexs the person who trashed it when they come back." Ron suggested as they sat at the Gryffindor bench.

"I don't think so, Ron." Draco dismissed the thought.

"Should we report it?" Harry asked.

"Yes!" Hermione cried, as if the answer was obvious.

"No!" Draco and Ron countered.

"Why not?" Hermione asked, "Ron and I can handle it with the other prefects."

"Hermione, I don't want to draw unnecessary attention to this." Draco insisted.

"Well you can't just let it go."

"Yes, I can. I've spent my whole life letting things go, this is no different."

"I'm inclined to agree." Harry said, "The less attention we get, the better."

Hermione sighed and threw her hands up in surrender, "Fine, it's your choice."

***

Valentine's Day came and went without anymore talk of the vandalism, but Harry could tell that Draco was still tense, "What's wrong, Drake?"

"Nothing." he insisted, but Harry remained unconvinced.

"Come on, talk to me."

Draco sighed and set aside the book he was reading, "Harry, I swear, I'm just fine."

Harry gave Draco a knowing look, "Bullshit." but he dropped the subject and went back to his homework anyways.

"Harry, is that Hedwig?" Draco asked a few minutes later, looking out the library window.

"Hedwig?" Harry opened the window and let the bird in. She had a small note with her, which Harry took quickly before Hedwig flew back out the window.

"Who's it from?"

"Dumbledore wants to speak with us."

"Us?"

"Both of us, right now." Harry confirmed as he began gathering up his things. 

Several minutes later, Harry and Draco found themselves facing Professor's McGonnagall, Snape  and Dumbledore, "Ah, Mr. Potter and Mr. Malfoy, I appreciate your haste." Dumbledore leaned forward in his seat and peered over his crescent moon spectacles, "Please, have a seat." he said, gesturing to a pair of vacant chairs in front of the desk.

"What is this about, Sir?" Harry asked as he settled into his seat.

"Well, Mr. Potter, is had been brought to my attention that there was an incident in the Slytherin dormitories last week, regarding the possessions of Mr. Malfoy and his roommates." Harry and Draco both adverted their eyes, Harry staring at his shoes and Draco suddenly finding the corner of the desk extremely interesting, "It seems that not everyone has taken recent events... well."

"Why didn't you come tell me, Draco?" Snape asked, partly angry and partly concerned, "This is the type of thing I thought would happen."

"Nothing was stolen," Draco assured his uncle, "Whoever it was just wanted to get a rise out of us, it wasn't worth our attention."

"Did you agree with this, Mr. Potter." McGonnagall crossed her arms and stared at Harry, who was still unwilling to look up.

"I didn't want to push it. Draco didn't want to make a big deal of it and I wasn't going to push him." Harry looked as if he was going to say more, but refrained from going any further.

"Did either of you even consider reporting it yourselves?" Snape asked, glancing between the two.

The boys exchanged a look before Draco responded, "Harry and Hermione wanted to, Ron and I disagreed."

The Professors stood there in silence for a moment before Dumbledore stood and began slowing pacing the length of his office, "I want you both to understand that this type of behavior will not be tolerated. This is what the administration is for, to handle things like this, and I wish that you had trusted us with this situation before hand. However, now that we're aware of the issue, then we can properly assess the situation."

Harry looked up at Dumbledore and sighed, "What do you intend to do about it, Sir? We still don't know who did it."

Dumbledore smiled, "Trust me, Harry, I've had to deal with my fair share of similar situations. When have I ever let you down?"

"When you made him life with his god awful relatives." Draco remarked.

Harry nodded, "He's got a point."

"Potter!" McGonnagall cried, "While I don't disagree, this isn't the time. That goes for you too, Mr. Malfoy."

"Yes, Professor." the boys responded, sheepishly.

"What are we supposed to do, anyways?" Draco asked, "Stopping one person isn't going to stop the others. There's always going to be people who hate us, that's not going to change." Draco pushed back his chair and rushed out of the room, letting the door slam behind him.

Harry sighed, "He's right, we have to learn to deal with it." He shook his head and gathered up his book bag before following Draco, "Just let it alone." Harry rushed down the stairs after Draco, "Drake?" he called, without response. He eventually found Draco sitting in a window seat down the corridor, "Hey, want to talk about what happened in there?"

Draco sighed and moved over so Harry could sit, "I'm sorry, I know they were just trying to help."

"Maybe, but they should have left it to us on this one."

Draco nodded his agreement, "I want to be able to trust people, it's just hard for me."

Harry looked at the ground, "You trust me, right?"

Draco wrapped his arm around Harry's shoulders, "Oh course, I've never trusted anyone as mush as I trust you." He pulled Harry into a tight embrace, "I love you."

Harry settled against Draco's chest and intertwined their fingers, "I love you, too."