Chapter 7 "A stove and a fridge."

Start from the beginning

  That’s how we came to be. We spent the entire school year texting, emailing, and web-camming each other, anxiously awaiting the summer. Then, as summer finally warmed us in the California sun, we were together again.

  It all came crashing down right then.

  Luna needed me to be a spy. My fiery red hair and pointed amber eyes made me look like one of Rose’s troops. It was required of me to fulfill my destiny and give her information by seducing men into giving me information.

  Let’s just say this didn’t go over well with Victor.

  “She wants you to do WHAT?!” He shouted.

  A tear escaped. “She wants me to help her spy on Rose’s troops.”

  He bubbled with anger. “No! You can’t do this!”

  “Victor…” I pleaded, gently stroking his arm.

  He jerked away. “No.”

  I spent the rest of that summer trying to get him to trust me again. All of my hard work to get this boy was all gone, and it drove me to do my best in Luna’s missions, because maybe then he would see it was for good.

  The next summer, we were back to normal, we had worked it over the school year, even meeting up with one another every once and awhile. That’s when Ryleigh showed up, and I knew things were about to get very complicated.

  Things between him and I were honest and completely normal. We loved each other, and there was nothing that could ruin that, despite the dirty work I had to clean off of my hands every time I saw him again.

  So now, I was curled up with him on my couch, simply starring into one another’s eyes. “Noah, I love you.”

  I smiled. “I love you, too.”

  His lips brushed mine and an involuntary shudder racked through me. He was so powerful. He was just like his father, Collier. He could travel by shadow, otherwise known as ‘Shadow-walking,’ and had immense strength when it came to spirits. That’s definitely something he got from Luna.

  He kissed me again, a little more forcefully, as he brought up a hand to cup my face. As soon as he broke it, I sighed contentedly. A small smile creased his face and I stared into his intriguingly beautiful hazel eyes. “Ready to get some breakfast?” He whispered softly, lacing his fingers through mine. I nodded up at him and we got up from the little loveseat in the living room. He led me out the door, dragging me behind him to get to the dining room, which I knew would be empty.

  I was right.

  Victor and I were early risers and we always seemed to be the only ones in the room before seven or so. We took our seats, grabbing some of the food that was never absent from the table, even between meals. It always stayed hot or cold and fresh, depending the on food, of course.

  Everyone piled in, Drake and Ryleigh being the last, as always. She was blushing a smiling at the ground while he grinned at her, his eyes roaming over every inch of her face. They were so cute.

  “Drake!” Grace shrieked. “Come sit next to me!” She shrieked again, probably meaning to sound enthusiastic.

  He frowned and stayed firmly planted where he was. Her smile faltered and she stared intently at him, as if she was trying to push a thought into his mind. She slumped back in her chair when he shook his head and sat next to Ryleigh instead.

  Her face turned an unpleasant shade of red, but he continued to flirt with Ryleigh. “Drake…” She pouted.

  He disregarded her and gently spun a lock Ryleigh’s hair on one of his fingers, grinning like a fool as she rambled on about some story, using her hands to narrate.