Chapter 1 || Leorio's Assistant ||

Thank you for choosing Win His Heart. Quick note that this book is rated mature due to swearing, gore, and other dark topics. If you are not comfortable with those themes, click off this book. Also, I will add music to most chapters so you can listen to music that compliments the vibe of the chapter. Thank you and please enjoy.

~

     The smell of fresh pine fills the room and the ceiling fan gives out a soothing hum. The evening sun peeks in through the window just right and the birds sing beautifully from the tree branches. A soft breeze comes in through the open window and lifts the white curtain like a strip of silk. Today, the stack of papers in front of me was lower than usual. The ink pen in my hands was brand new, so no more struggling to finish a line without the ink fading out.

     Everything was peaceful and perfect. Today was one of those days where everything was going just as planned. Waking up early and refreshed with a fresh plate of breakfast ready for me. After eating, I immediately got started on today's task, but I went to work to find only a small stack of papers ready for my signatures and review. They were written in beautiful cursive instead of that bad doctor's note handwriting. After reviewing and signing the papers, I concluded that our project was going smoothly. My job for the morning was done quickly, taking less than an hour to complete. So I spent the rest of my time in my study doing whatever I felt like doing.

     While listening to the rustling leaves and chirping birds, I brought out a blank sheet of paper and sketched with a black pen that I used to sign the documents with just earlier. Soon, I became blank minded. Zoned out. I had a habit of doing this a lot and it was kind of out of my control. It just... happened.

     I stayed that way until I heard a quiet knock at my door. Snapping out of my zoned out state, I blinked and realized that the black pen was still in my hands. Was I still drawing? I looked up towards the source of the noise that distracted me from my focus. I was greeted by a tall man wearing a white lab coat on and a silver stethoscope hanging around his neck. He had short, black, spiky hair and a pair of round spectacles rested on his nose. "Oh, Leorio," I addressed him. Leorio Paladiknight, a medical hunter who works as a doctor here in this small town, was my boss. I was a nurse here, but technically an assistant. Even though this wasn't the field of work I'd expected to find myself in, I loved my job. Even if I had no pay.

     The doctor in the doorway of my study gave me a quick smile before he opened his mouth to speak. "You seem to be having a good day. What's got you so energetic?" Leorio questioned as he stepped closer towards the dark wooden desk. I hesitated before answering. I grabbed the piece of paper that was in front of me and put it to the side along with the other papers, not breaking eye contact with my boss. Energetic? I didn't realize that I appeared to be that way. I tried to quickly imagine myself in Leorio's point of view. Was I smiling like an idiot? Did I give off that overconfident look while I was sketching? More and more questions popped into my head, but I left them unanswered. I directed my attention back to my boss and shrugged.

     "Today's been good to me. I wouldn't frown on a day like this, if that's what you were expecting," I teased him. Leorio's smile faded away when hearing my answer. His face twisted into a disapproving expression when he realized that he couldn't argue with my statement. Before my straight face was broken by laughter, Leorio finally sighed out and dismissed the subject. "Yeah. Well, seeing as to how you're done with the papers, I'll take them off your hands now," Leorio muttered, grabbing the full stack of papers from in front of me. Including my sketch that laid on top.

     Leorio, who hurriedly grabbed the papers, didn't realize it until after it was already done. Just as he advanced towards the door to exit the room, he took a quick glance at the paper that rested on top. Noticing that something wasn't right, he stopped dead in his tracks. He realized that the top paper was not what he needed. I knew that he had taken my sketch, but it didn't really matter to me. I was just drawing whatever was on my mind. He could throw it away for all I care. I was zoned out while doing it, so who knows? It could be just some random swirls and lines for all I know.